Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Question

Grouper

Stupid Question

Okay, so i am SSI certified. I am diving in Hawaii this summer, as well as a scuba summer camp. Both places we are diving are PADI, and a SSI shop isn't near out hotel in Hawaii. I am doing a manta ray night dive in HI, and the shop said I could get PADI night diver easily if we did the classroom work. Okay, great I said.

Is it worth it to just get PADI certified as well? I don't know how much advanced specialities cost in PADI, but they are 200 ish plus gear at my dive shop, so i would rather not do the classwork for PADI in hawaii, and then come back to CA and do the classroom for SSI!!!!!

What do you guys think? Should I just get PADI certified?

Guppy
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just do the night dive. That is unless they are requiring you to be night certified to go on the dive... I don't see any reason to be certified by both agencies.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by newways View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just do the night dive. That is unless they are requiring you to be night certified to go on the dive... I don't see any reason to be certified by both agencies.
    I agree.

Barracuda
    Images
    Money making scheme. Ignore.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

For most purposes there is no need to duplicate a specialty that you have done with another training organization.
    Unless... what you are going for ultimately is a Master Scuba Diver designation. In this case PADI requires PADI AOW+5 PADI specialties+ PADI Rescue Diver. I assume,although I don't know for sure, that the other training agencies might have a similar requirement.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkuaSeptember View Post
    For most purposes there is no need to duplicate a specialty that you have done with another training organization.
    Unless... what you are going for ultimately is a Master Scuba Diver designation. In this case PADI requires PADI AOW+5 PADI specialties+ PADI Rescue Diver. I assume,although I don't know for sure, that the other training agencies might have a similar requirement.
    I thought that PADI, like the other agencies, gave you credit for the other agency's specialty courses if they were similar to what that agency's course.

No?

Quote Originally Posted by fisheater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkuaSeptember View Post
    I thought that PADI, like the other agencies, gave you credit for the other agency's specialty courses if they were similar to what that agency's course.

No?
    I checked again in the manual. AOW and Rescue can be equivalents, but the 5 specialties must be PADI to earn PADI MSD. If you aren't looking for the Master Scuba Diver rating, machs nicht.

Grouper
    Oh that sucks. Guess i won't, you guys are right. Thanks!

Grouper
    Images
    Remember Cheesy,
    There are no stupid questions...
    only stupid answers!

Grouper
    No need to get Padi certified never saw anyone turned away from a dive because of a different cert agency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information