Thread: I Dove the Seychelles for 2 years

TadPole

I Dove the Seychelles for 2 years

Went over there for work drilling for oil for the first year, bought a sailboat and stuck around for another year. GREAT DIVING. 100m viability, LOTS of islands LOTS of fish. Turtles, manta rays, BIG sharks, flying fish and on and on. . . Never wore a suit - wet, dry or the kind with a tie.
    I snuck up on a turtle and got a free ride until he tired and needed air. Had a 6m shark swimming over my head when I was working in 39m - no place to hide but I didn't get eaten. A few days later when some of the guys were catching tuna they started bringing up only heads - yup, sharks. So I made a big hook so they could catch one. They brought up several 2.5m to 3.2m sharks until they started bringing up only heads. . . I never saw the big guy again.

Grouper
    Too cool!

How expensive is it to get there?

Quote Originally Posted by itsmescotty View Post
    Went over there for work drilling for oil for the first year, bought a sailboat and stuck around for another year. GREAT DIVING. 100m viability, LOTS of islands LOTS of fish. Turtles, manta rays, BIG sharks, flying fish and on and on. . . Never wore a suit - wet, dry or the kind with a tie.
    I snuck up on a turtle and got a free ride until he tired and needed air. Had a 6m shark swimming over my head when I was working in 39m - no place to hide but I didn't get eaten. A few days later when some of the guys were catching tuna they started bringing up only heads - yup, sharks. So I made a big hook so they could catch one. They brought up several 2.5m to 3.2m sharks until they started bringing up only heads. . . I never saw the big guy again.

Grouper Founding Member
    Did you see sea shells in the Seychelles by the sea shore?

(Sorry I couldn't help myself)
    Sounds like they have great vis and great diving
    Never, ever add up the receipts from all your scuba purchases!! (That's for Joe and Larry to do )

Shark
    Where you dove in the Seychelles are their dive ops that go into those areas? This is the first positive report I have read about good diving in the Seychelles as they have Shark finning and Commercial fishing in the area.

Would like to hear more about the areas you dove.
    Last edited by Travelnsj; 05-04-2008 at 21:46.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by hychang View Post
    Too cool!

How expensive is it to get there?
    Sad to say it is quite expensive to get there.

Expect to pay anywhere from $3000 to $4000 in airfare alone flying out of JFK. And it takes 2 days to get there from North America (overnight flight to Europe, waiting approximately 9 hours for the connection, plus another overnight flight to Mahe). Jet lag, anyone???

The best itinerary I found is to fly Alitalia into Milano and connect with an Air Seychelles flight.

In my humble opinion, I honestly think "they" keep the prices high so as to avoid a huge influx of visitors. And I think I recall reading exactly that in a guidebook too.

Grouper
    Man it sounds nice, how did you like living aboard.

Thread Information