Thread: The difference 15' can make

Grouper

The difference 15' can make

at the conclusion of a night dive in Saba, while doing my 15' safety stop (3 of us still in the water) a school of wahoo, and a school of permits began hunting around us. This was an amazing thing to see, fast fish, silver flashes streaming past as wild as lightening. Passing so close, deliciously missing you at the last second. All you could see was fish streaking through the uw lights of the boat. Awesome!
    Well, when I broke the surface, while waiting for the other 2 to clear the ladder, suddenly all that activity around me seemed somehow.......unsettling. No longer was I in awe of the spectacle of the goings on, but somehow was gaining more of the feeling of bait. The cool buzzing of me when I could see it coming, somehow now felt threatening(I was in no peril, just the feeling), had changed into more of a "what am I doing here!!"

Funny how perceptions can change so quickly.
    Still one of my favorite night dives.
    Last edited by boates; 04-10-2008 at 10:17.
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation.

glad they were just fish! sounds like something i caulk up to a good dive and a better reason to have a beer and talk about it later haha
    NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE
    A GOOD PLACE TO GO http://www.calypsodiversinc.com/

When I was last in Oahu I had a whale come right up behind me while I was hanging out doing my safety stop. It was really awesome. A big mother and her calf had come in that close to the shore and were within 50 feet of me.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    My last dive during my spring Turks trip this year.... I'm hanging out at 15'. I'd already passed five minutes of safety stop time... but stayed in the water, kept looking around. I thought, hey, it's my last dive of this trip, I'll get back on the boat with 200 lbs.

I do one last spin around, just looking around, and out at the edge of my viz, maybe 90 feet away, is a HUGE spotted eagle ray - had to measure 8 foot in wing span.

I'm 'jumping' up and down, trying to get everyone's attention and pointing to the ray. They all look at me strange, and then see the ray for themselves.

Biggest ray I've ever seen, and unique pattern on it's back, more white than blue.

Pretty cool safety stop.

Oh, and yep, I got back on the boat with about 200psi
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Grouper
    There is a cave at 27 meters in Ha'apai after passing under a Coral Arch. The passage in is quite narrow and about 20 meters long but every time I am in there I get that same feeling. What the hell am I doing here? Funny emotion but always reminds me just how unnatural this sport is. Love it.
    "Due to budget constraints the light at the end of the tunnel will be switched off".

Guppy
    Last fall while doing a safety stop at 15 feet on a night dive, I realized how light it was. Turned my lamps off and enjoyed the very bright full autumn moon above from 15ffw.
    Inland temperatures today are expected to be in the upper 90s....cooler by the lake.

Grouper
    In utila the dang sea wasps were out the boat had there lights on attracting all the dang things....we did a 10 minute stop hopping the would move on so we didn't get stung, instead swam to the front of the boat told them to turn off the lights for a few before we tried to get up.....it always seems returning to the surface is not nearly as enjoyable as underwater :-)

Grouper
    I've had that feeling sometimes, both at the end of dives and at the end of surf sessions. It's like some sort of subconscious part of your brain is telling you that you're out of your natural place and you need to leave...

Grouper
    April/09 I also found out, that, when stingy larvae swimming floatie thingies are out and about, they're more concentrated in the 1st(decent) last(ascent) 15'!!! Stingy.........ouchie!!!
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation.

Thread Information