Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Submerged towns???

emalebiga

Submerged towns???

I was wondering where people's favorite place to dive for submerged towns are.

TadPole
    Though I've never dived it (but I've always wanted to), I've always wanted to dive in Greers Ferry Lake near Heber Springs, Arkansas. My dad owns land near there and I've visited the lake many times, but have never had the chance to dive there and visit the towns.

Grouper
    Does anyone know the location of the submerged town in Canyon Lake, Tx? I believe the name of the town was Hancock, Tx but I never heard where it is located in the lake.
    In the famous words of Captain Ron, "If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"

There's some really deep stuff at Lake Jocassee. Maybe someday. Too deep for now.

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FBH1 View Post
    Though I've never dived it (but I've always wanted to), I've always wanted to dive in Greers Ferry Lake near Heber Springs, Arkansas. My dad owns land near there and I've visited the lake many times, but have never had the chance to dive there and visit the towns.
    That's the lake I dive most often. I don't know of any submerged towns in Heber. We have found an old pumping station. Really just an old barn about 120'. It has some holding tanks that are shallower. The 1st one is about 75'. It's where they used to draw water from the river & pump it to the town before the lake was created. We have plans on trying to find some old bridges that crossed the river. But haven't tried yet.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Shark Founding Member

Smile

If anyone has dove or has quality dive information of submerged towns or other major structures in the USA please drop me a PM. Thanks
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by BSea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FBH1 View Post
    That's the lake I dive most often. I don't know of any submerged towns in Heber. We have found an old pumping station. Really just an old barn about 120'. It has some holding tanks that are shallower. The 1st one is about 75'. It's where they used to draw water from the river & pump it to the town before the lake was created. We have plans on trying to find some old bridges that crossed the river. But haven't tried yet.
    My dad has always told me that there was one or two towns that were flooded when they made the lake. It could just be that a few houses or something were flooded and it has just grown over time through rumors and stuff that it was a few towns. I still want to dive that lake sometime.

I have heard that Canyon lake had an old town and the only thing left is part of an old church. There are also rumors that there is an old grave yard down there with a few head stones but no one I know has ever found it.

Grouper
    You have to realize that these "towns" were usually just a crossroad with a couple of shantys. These being made of wood largely ripped apart, rotted and floated away shortly after being flooded. As well, nobody left behind much of anything of value. Considering that most of the man made lakes were once above ground, what I find remarkable is actually how sterile of human artifacts that they actually are. Generally there is little or nothing in them but mud, rocks and freezing cold water of nominal viz.

Most rumors of "towns" in these artificial lakes are imaginary, grossly over stated, even lies and in some cases purposeful misinformation for purposes beyond my capability to understand. I think a steady diet of crack and moonshine and Art Bell is required to understand the reasoning.

N
    Swim down, swim around, swim back up.

Images
    Nemrod, I wonder what little oasis town you are talking about. I think a lot of the "town talk" is used to draw in business and then if you can get a repuable dive magazine to do a story on the town and make it sound like you can "dive down mainstreet".

BTW I have the T-Shirt, so it has to be there.

Snagel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information