Thread: Bermuda--all wrecks

TadPole

Bermuda--all wrecks

I've been doing a little reading on diving Bermuda. There are a lot of wrecks there. In fact, it looks like you could do a week of diving and dive nothing but wrecks. Maybe I'm a little warped, but that appeals to me.
    I'm wondering if any of you have done that and have some advice on diving Bermuda.

Papawhisky
    Papawhisky

..still working on something cool to say...

Grouper
    Bermuda is a little strange because there are loads of wrecks right there, so you'd think it would be a lock as a diving destination, but at the same time, you get the feeling that they are deliberately not trying to a a diving destination persay. There are only 3 dive shops on the island, and you cant rent a car, or take wet gear on the bus, so you have to take taxis to and from the dive shop unless you are within walking distance which is $$$$. The dives we did were timed and we were basically told to cut our SI short, or cut our second dives short because we had to be back at the shop at a certain time (even though we got started late). I didn't find anyone doing afternoon dives, so it was pretty much 2 time limited dives a day and that's it. If you're going to Bermuda for some reason anyway, I'd definitely do a dive in Bermuda if I happened to find myself there, but I wouldn't go back as a diving trip.

Guppy Founding Member
    I got in a couple of days diving, on a cruise ship, last August. I dove with Dive Bermuda and had a great time. If memory serves, (my dive log is on my home PC), we dove 7 or 8 wrecks, over the course of 2 days. Most of them are in shallow water, so we spent a great deal of time on them.

Unlike carolns experience, the DM's let us dive our computers, so we had plenty of bottom time. I also agree with caroln that I wouldn't go to Bermuda as a dive destination per se, but would certainly dive there again, if given the opportunity.

Taxis are horrendously expensive, so you should try to share to save some $$$, or stay at a hotel with a dive shop nearby. The proximity of the wrecks to the shore are also a big plus.

Hope this helps!
    Hail to the Redskins!

Guppy
    I agree with caroln and papawhisky regarding the wrecks and the difficulties in getting around with gear. (taxis $$, no rental cars,etc.
    I agree that it's good idea to stay at/near a resort that has an on-site dive op. I have dived with Dive Bermuda for 20+ years, and I highly recommend them as an op.

There are a coupler of semi intact wrecks, but most are somewhere between " big pieces" and a debris field. The coral and fish life are neat as well, just not as lush or in numbers as large as further south.

TadPole
    Too bad it isn't more diver friendly. Well, if I ever happen to be there, I'll try to do some diving, but I let it slide down my list of places I must dive someday.
    Thanks for the perspectives.

Papawhisky
    Papawhisky

..still working on something cool to say...

Thread Information