Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: solo card

Guppy

solo card

is the solo card worth it?

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    For some, yes. For others, probably not.

A suitably vague answer to a suitably vague question.

Oh, you want to know if it's worth it for YOU?

Well, tell us about yourself (start by filling in your profile, perhaps) and what kind of diving you do/are thinking about doing, and perhaps we can offer some helpful advise.

Grouper
    If you want to dive solo from a boat that requires a solo card to do so, yes.

I think the Spree and Fling fall into this category, and I think one of the major liveaboard brands (I can't remember which) likes the solo card too.

From a training or skill improvement standpoint, I've heard mixed reviews.

Grouper
    Images
    If you want to dive unhassled, yes. A lot of boats won't let you and some quarries won't as well.
    Get Wet,
    Eric

This is an very interesting thread. In the old days I would never dive with anyone I didn't know at a recreation level. for me and my background that's <130ft and no decompression. As a technical diver using mixed gas that philosophy has taken a 180. There is just too much that could go wrong no matter how well I prepare and things that are beyond my control that my dive partner and myself can handle better than I myself. Maybe when I got a few thousand more dives under my belt I will consider diving at this level alone and under certain conditions 1) i have dove the site many times, 2) the diving conditions are condusive: flat seas relatively moderate current and decent vis,3) I know my gear so well I can do everything that needs doing with my eyes closed or in black water, 4)all my gear is serviced properly and I've inspected and tested it as best I can. 5) mission plan is do-able (visualization) and I've trained properly. Than maybe, maybe......Cards for solo diving? yes, after a very thorough program.
    Tin Cậy Không Ai!

Grouper
    I've got a solo card but have never showed it to a dive operator. I dove solo w/o a card for years and never hassled except one time by a lifeguard in NC.

Grouper
    For the most part it is useful if a charter requires it. If you are an experienced diver you won't learn much if any more. Solo is more about a mind set than it is about learning new skills.

Shark Founding Member

Smile

For divers whom are considering entering into Solo diving as part of their scuba experience and have no mentors versed in the protocols of safe Solo diving to work with....the recreational Solo class is probably going to shorten your learning curve and offer some good information.

I have looked at the SDI Solo Diver text....it offered some elementary information a new diver or someone not versed in this area of diving will find interesting and helpful.

Now is it worth it.....most scuba training is worth something to someone.....I persl. would find nothing in the course context of much value to me, but I dive Solo allot and have for a number of years.....would I go through the class just to satisfy a very few scuba parks or dive charters insurance policies of requiring Solo divers to have such a card-NO.... I simply would dive with a buddy on those rare occasions if faced with the issue.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Grouper
    Images
    The thought of solo diving has occured to me, but for now at least, I think no. There's always something to learn if one has the right instructor, so somewhere down the line I'll probably take the class. As mentioned, the card may or may not be needed. I personally like to learn from the mistakes of others, so I'm sure that if I learned one trick, technique, or consideration from the class it would pay for itself very quickly indeed if I ran into problems underwater. Better yet, I might learn something that helped me avoid the problem in the first place!

Grouper
    If you need to do the course to dive solo, then you shouldn't dive solo. Practice and experience can't be taught and I couldn't work out how you could be taught to dive solo in a group, the scariest part of diving solo is that there is no one else around. However the card does definitely help on charters.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information