Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammerheads

Shark
    Images
    There is a sea mount in the Sea of Cortez (a protected world heritage sight now) where Hammer heads congregate by the hundreds and just circle for days on end then just go away.....
    With the privilege of diving, comes the responsibility of conservation. If you dont like this signature I DONT CARE!!!!!!!!

Guppy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reactive View Post
    Is there anywhere in the US where you can see hammerhead sharks? Maybe during a certain time of year?

Thanks
    I came across a school of 8 Hammerheads in Kona Hawaii on November 18, 2000. I was somewhere between 33 and 55 feet, water temperature was 76 degrees.
    I was going South and the Hammerheads were going West from the shore. As I went faster the Hammerheads continued to turned more southward to avoid me. I got to about 40 feet from them, but too bad- My wife had the camera and she was about 30 or 40 feet behind me so the photos only showed dark patches.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    Flower Gardens... Febuary, March and some in April.

Here is a trip report from this Febusry 23 and 24....

We arrived on the West bank to find 20 knot winds, seas in the 4-5 foot range, water temps around 68, air temp around 72, and sharks. Big sharks, little sharks, hammerhead sharks, tiger sharks, reef sharks, Manta rays, grouper, and sharks. Only a couple of fishing boats were out, did I mention we saw sharks. During lunch we moseyed over to the East bank, where we found the wind still blowing, but not as hard, and the seas trying very hard to lay down. The conditions were very similar to the west bank, except wind was down to 15 knots, seas down to 3-4 feet, visibility was 100 feet or better, and we saw sharks. And manta rays, spotted eagle rays, amberjack, and sharks. One buddy pair actually reported seeing a tiger shark eat a triggerfish. Scales everywhere, they said. We saw sharks on the surface, (couldn’t tell what kind), and saw tigers, hammers, bull or sandbars underwater, including one school of about 20 hammerheads. The biggest school we saw on the West bank was about 5-8 individuals.
    Sounds awesome! Need to do some diving this year, and soon!
    Certifications: Advanced Open Water, Enriched Air Nitrox
    Dive Locations: Illinois, Bahamas, ...

Guppy
    Images
    [QUOTE=bobby_hirst;370159]

We arrived on the West bank to find 20 knot winds, seas in the 4-5 foot range, water temps around 68, air temp around 72, and sharks. Big sharks, little sharks, hammerhead sharks, tiger sharks, reef sharks, Manta rays, grouper, and sharks. Only a couple of fishing boats were out, did I mention we saw sharks. During lunch we moseyed over to the East bank, where we found the wind still blowing, but not as hard, and the seas trying very hard to lay down. The conditions were very similar to the west bank, except wind was down to 15 knots, seas down to 3-4 feet, visibility was 100 feet or better, and we saw sharks. And manta rays, spotted eagle rays, amberjack, and sharks. One buddy pair actually reported seeing a tiger shark eat a triggerfish. Scales everywhere, they said. We saw sharks on the surface, (couldn’t tell what kind), and saw tigers, hammers, bull or sandbars underwater, including one school of about 20 hammerheads. The biggest school we saw on the West bank was about 5-8 individuals.

Where is the West Bank? It seems to me that it is in Israeli

Guppy
    [QUOTE=RogerAg;370197]
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_hirst View Post

Where is Israeli? Just kidding.
    Certifications: Advanced Open Water, Enriched Air Nitrox
    Dive Locations: Illinois, Bahamas, ...

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    [quote=RogerAg;370197]
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_hirst View Post

Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary:
    Located about 115 miles off the coasts of Texas and Louisiana

NOAA - Encyclopedia of the Sanctuaries
    DevilDiver

Guppy
    Images

Thanks DevilDiver
    I used your link and I think I will check out for live-a-boards. Do you recommend any?

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerAg View Post

Thanks DevilDiver
    I used your link and I think I will check out for live-a-boards. Do you recommend any?

Fling Charters
    DevilDiver

Guppy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerAg View Post

Thanks DevilDiver

Fling Charters

I already have two trips planed for Hawaii this year but I book marked your links for early next year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information