Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammerheads

Grouper

Hammerheads

Is there anywhere in the US where you can see hammerhead sharks? Maybe during a certain time of year?

Thanks

Grouper
    I've heard of a few. For example, I sometimes hear about them off of Jupiter, FL, and I have heard about a couple around NC. The reports I hear are few and far between, and people dive those areas for a long time without ever seeing one.

Spring in the Flower Gardens (off TX) is another place that comes to mind. My impression is that Hammerheads are more common there (but still not common?), but sometimes getting out there to dive (weather) is a challenge.

Grouper
    Every once in a while we see them off WPB, mostly in the spring.
    I believe in MOF!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Some locals at Panama City/St Andrews FL told me they usually follow the rays in during the summer. I have yet to see one, however.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images

MV Spree Texas Flower Gardens Feb 23,24 2008

Flower Gardens... Febuary, March and some in April.

Here is a trip report from this Febusry 23 and 24....

We arrived on the West bank to find 20 knot winds, seas in the 4-5 foot range, water temps around 68, air temp around 72, and sharks. Big sharks, little sharks, hammerhead sharks, tiger sharks, reef sharks, Manta rays, grouper, and sharks. Only a couple of fishing boats were out, did I mention we saw sharks. During lunch we moseyed over to the East bank, where we found the wind still blowing, but not as hard, and the seas trying very hard to lay down. The conditions were very similar to the west bank, except wind was down to 15 knots, seas down to 3-4 feet, visibility was 100 feet or better, and we saw sharks. And manta rays, spotted eagle rays, amberjack, and sharks. One buddy pair actually reported seeing a tiger shark eat a triggerfish. Scales everywhere, they said. We saw sharks on the surface, (couldn’t tell what kind), and saw tigers, hammers, bull or sandbars underwater, including one school of about 20 hammerheads. The biggest school we saw on the West bank was about 5-8 individuals.
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    Your in the right part of the world to see them since they are generally a warm water shark. I've only seen them schooling up once off the coast of New Jersey, while diving and that was more than 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post

We arrived on the West bank to find 20 knot winds, seas in the 4-5 foot range, water temps around 68, air temp around 72, and sharks. Big sharks, little sharks, hammerhead sharks, tiger sharks, reef sharks, Manta rays, grouper, and sharks. Only a couple of fishing boats were out, did I mention we saw sharks. During lunch we moseyed over to the East bank, where we found the wind still blowing, but not as hard, and the seas trying very hard to lay down. The conditions were very similar to the west bank, except wind was down to 15 knots, seas down to 3-4 feet, visibility was 100 feet or better, and we saw sharks. And manta rays, spotted eagle rays, amberjack, and sharks. One buddy pair actually reported seeing a tiger shark eat a triggerfish. Scales everywhere, they said. We saw sharks on the surface, (couldn’t tell what kind), and saw tigers, hammers, bull or sandbars underwater, including one school of about 20 hammerheads. The biggest school we saw on the West bank was about 5-8 individuals.
    So did you see any sharks? lol
    that sounds like a great trip! where is flower gardens?

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeybenz106 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post

So did you see any sharks? lol
    that sounds like a great trip! where is flower gardens?

I have seen Hammers and Silkies. They see Tigers at times as well but they will call the night dives if they are in the area. Whale Sharks come in during the summer but I have not got lucky on that yet.

Here are some links for the Flower Gardens......
    Welcome to the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary
    Fling Charters
    DevilDiver

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by reactive View Post
    Is there anywhere in the US where you can see hammerhead sharks? Maybe during a certain time of year?

Thanks
    I remember fishing in the Keys and we caught a 2 1/2 - 3 footer. Damn thing scared all of our fish away, though!
    Certifications: Advanced Open Water, Enriched Air Nitrox
    Dive Locations: Illinois, Bahamas, ...

Grouper
    I saw an 8 ft. hammerhead diving in Pennecamp (Key Largo) a few years ago.

Last year a fisherman in Tampa Bay caught and killed a pregnant female along with her 32 pups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information