Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The horrors of the instant buddy system

Guppy

The horrors of the instant buddy system

on a recent dive charter I was paired with a diver that refused to dive with me because I wasn't a dir diver and would know how to be a proprler buddy because I have a octo/BCD inflator and I had a pair of blue and yellow fins I'm I over reacting or I'm I a horrible diver for using what is comfortable to me

Grouper
    Images
    It sounds like they did you a favor. I wouldn't want to dive with a p***k like that either! You aren't overreacting, but it sounds like someone was Just be careful with those blue and yellow fins...they could kill somebody some day.

PS-I hope you found a REAL buddy and enjoyed your diving.

Grouper
    Images

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by aprilgoddess1987 View Post
    on a recent dive charter I was paired with a diver that refused to dive with me because I wasn't a dir diver and would know how to be a proprler buddy because I have a octo/BCD inflator and I had a pair of blue and yellow fins I'm I over reacting or I'm I a horrible diver for using what is comfortable to me
    Sadly, In the Venn Diagram of Jerks and DIR divers there is an area of intersection. Sorry you had to meet one of them and it's really too bad that nobody who was there called them on it.

Grouper
    Images
    Upon further reflection, what was a DIR diver doing on a charter relying on instabuddies? They just thought there would be another DIR diver on the boat to team up with? Methinks your friend was a poser.

Grouper
    Jeez blue and yellow fins...I wouldn't dive with you either.

Makes me glad that my wife is my permanent dive buddy

Guppy
    Images
    Sorry to sound like a novice, but what is a DIR diver?
    It's All Good!!

I agree -- a GUE trained diver would either not go on a boat where he would be paired with an instabuddy, or would expect that such a person would be unlikely to be using DIR gear or following DIR protocols. More likely, you ran into someone who's adopted what he understands of the protocols, and what's he's seen of the attitude, which is unfortunately all too often haughty on line.

BTW, I'm pretty hard-core DIR, and I regularly try to dive with new divers, none of whom have even heard of DIR. And I don't give them a hard time about their gear, either.

Barracuda
    As I understand it a DIR diver usually refers to a GUE trained diver but this is not what it necessarily means. DIR is a philosophy..... Do It Right.... They follow a strict setup of gear, and set of rules... mostly pioneered by GUE but anyone can be a DIR diver as long as they have the right state of mind, gear config, rules etc.... I am sure people could add to this but I am just giving a general idea of what DIR means

side note in the DIR philosophy there is one right way to do things, and everything else is wrong (the word stroke comes to mind) this is why alot of people dont like this philosophy. Online I have seen adopted the philosophy DW2 Do What Works
    Last edited by UCFKnightDiver; 04-08-2008 at 22:46.
    When you turn your air on does it return the favor?!
    "I'd rather die while im living, than live while I'm dead!" -Jimmy Buffett

Grouper
    Images
    DIR is a way of diving that strictly adheres to particular protocols regarding equipment (type and placement), gas use and management (what types, how deep, how long), and diver interaction (team roles, buddy duties, etc). As Rox noted, it's generally associated with the agency GUE.
    I'm not a DIR diver (not interested), but they take the sport very seriously; some too much so, at least on online forums (and apparently some dive charters). That's what I've gathered online (checked into the agency classes and standards a bit myself) but I'm sure I've missed, misrepresented, or mis-spoken on at least one of the above points. It seems there are some non-***** DIR divers around here who can set you straight if you want to know more.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information