Thread: Upgrading to new gear after a year of no-diving

Upgrading to new gear after a year of no-diving

Hello all,

This is probably a question heard many times on this forum, but I'm going to ask again anyway.

Background first - I'm looking to buy some new gear - I've been out of diving for the past year (birth of my first child sort of made me change some plans), now I'm ready to get back into it in a big way.

I was working on my Divemaster training and will be picking that up this year.

I am looking to buy new gear and have been getting quotes from local shops on every combo of everything you can imagine (luckily I have 3 dive shops fairly close to me). When it comes down to it, I think that every reg, bc, etc... that I've looked at is just great, so it is now up to price and features.

I'm really looking for advice here. I have sort of decided to choose from the following choices:

1. Aqualung Legend LX + Air Source 3 (attached to my Seaquest Pro-QD plus BC), a diverite Nitek Duo, and a suunto SPG : this option is from the closest LDS to me, with standard discount it would probably run me about 1300 for this option.

2. Zeagle FH6, Envoy octo, Tusa IQ700 in the 3 place console, Zeagle Ranger. This one is from Scuba Toys at about $1300 as package (my local Zeagle LDS is about $600 more expensive).

As far as I can figure out (only ever having tried the Legend LX in the water) both are really good regulator set-ups. The AL AS3 has some advantages over a traditional octo in terms of streamlining things, but is it worth it? Also the computers are identical (both seiko's with different brand names on them).

Seeing that I have actually 2 LDS that could service a zeagle reg, I don't think that it would be a big problem to go with this from ST. On the other hand, my wife would then have my old Titan Regs and suunto computer meaning I would likely need to visit two shops for service (unless I could ever get parts and training on servicing these things myself). The other issue I have is that I don't have a Tusa dealer locally so if the computer dies, I'm going to be sending it back to ST - not a bad thing, but not always ideal.

I do a lot of different types of diving, ranging from diving all over Florida (the inlaws have place in the Keys that I use often), diving locally (Maryland, PA, VA, WV), I like wreck diving, and I want to do more instruction. Also, as an aquatic scientist I plan on getting into more UW science.

I hear lots of good stuff about Zeagle and I have actually had the chance to speak with some of their reps and have a good feeling about the company, though I am a bit concerned about their lack of worldwide coverage (though not likely a problem since I usually dive close to the US).

So, with all that said, does anyone have a suggestion on which set-up I should go with. I'm driving myself crazy over this so any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    I'm a ST/Zeagle cheerleader...so...I'd say go with the Zeagle setup. But that's just me.
    If I can't scuba then what's this whole thing about, what am I working toward? - Creed "The Office"

Shark
    I'm not all that familiar with either set of gear, but if I had to pick one without trying it out, it would be the Zeagle rig.
    Matt Silvia

Ok...I think I know which way this is going to turn out, even after only 2 replys' (I've read alot of posts in this forum) so, I'm going to pre-empt any more replys (though all are welcome) and ask why are people so in love with zeagle products?

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by microbe boy View Post
    why are people so in love with zeagle products?
    I'm not actually... I'm in love with a bunch of products you aren't considering.

I do have a lot of respect for Zeagle though, because:
    • I know so many users who are enthusiastic about their products.
    • I've been impressed with the quality and performance of their gear I've seen in use and on the shelf.
    • Scott, the owner, takes an active interest in feedback from his customers (he participates in online forums, notably scubaboard), answers questions readily, and has a great reputation for support.
    Matt Silvia

Plus Zeagle has lifetime warranties on their BCs, though I'm not sure about their regs

Shark
    If you are going to be teaching or helping with classes, you may want the Envoy Octo, over the Air Source. Some instructors use inflator/regs, but it makes it confusing for the student when you are trying to demonstrate skills.

Guppy Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by microbe boy View Post
    Ok...I think I know which way this is going to turn out, even after only 2 replys' (I've read alot of posts in this forum) so, I'm going to pre-empt any more replys (though all are welcome) and ask why are people so in love with zeagle products?
    Zeagle is a US Company, not an international mega-corp

Zeagle, as has been mentioned, participates in these forums.

Zeagle and ST will go to great lengths to make sure you love your gear, or will make it right.

I have 2 zeagle envoys and a Brigade BC.

Get a real octopus over an integrated one.

Thread Information