Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarpon for a dive buddy

TadPole

Tarpon for a dive buddy

I just go back from Bonaire. Did a few night dives on Small Wall. Each time, a 3 foot tarpon showed up and used our lights to hunt. It was cool at first, but after a while it kind of took over the dive. He would sit about 2 feet from my head swimming along. If I would shine on a fish, he would stalk it. Twice I witnessed him scarfing fish. If I quit shining for him and went back to looking in holes and under overhangs, he would hang out by my head again, which was a little unnerving. I started calling him Charlie.

Papawhisky
    Papawhisky

..still working on something cool to say...

Sounds like you had a fun time, good to see some interesting marine animal behaviour once in a while !

Guppy
    Last year in Bonaire I had the same thing on a couple of night dives at 18 Palms. We were diving with a group of six divers and the tarpon was with us for about 30 minutes. I illuminated several fish, to see if he would go after them. He didn't, but one of the divers behind me said that they saw him take a couple. I guess I wasn't showing him the right fish.

better to have a show and to help the fish than do nothing, sounds like you had fun anyway
    NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO, THERE YOU ARE
    A GOOD PLACE TO GO http://www.calypsodiversinc.com/

Grouper
    If I was a tarpon, I'd hang out with the guy pointing out the best dinners too

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    yup, there is one that does the same thing at Buddy's resort. I didn't know he was behind me and my husband was watching him and laughing. He finally darted over my shoulder inches from my face and scared the ever-lovin-bejesus out of me!

Usually they will warn you about that in Bonaire so people who don't know about it, don't freak out when it happens.

I don't know if this is common in other areas of Belize but we've done some night dives out on Lighthouse where the tarpon were like giant mosquitos, lots of them buzzing all around. The novelty started to wear off after a bit, they were almost in the way. But interesting how they sort of had the same feeding behavior taking advantage of divers, yet different. They didn't do the sneaky thing like the ones in Bonaire.

i'm surprised Sounder hasn't joining this conversation yet. he and friend were swimming with the Bonaire tarpon recently. i'm sure he's got some stories to tell.

Grouper
    Images
    Good Ole Charlie in Bonaire...

Barracuda
    I'm waiting for the pic's 'Boates' got a couple of weeks ago of him while on our dawn dive.
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information