Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSAT Gas Blender

Shark Founding Member

DSAT Gas Blender

I just got home from my fist night in the DSAT Gas Blender class, and I must say that I have enjoyed the class so far. I am the only one in the class so it went pretty quickly tonight. All we did tonight was review over the book and the section reviews, and then I took the test. I passed the test with a 90%. One question I missed because I just marked the wrong box, 2 questions mixed me up by some tricky wording, then the other 2 I just got wrong. I read the book a few times before the class, and I had a pretty decent idea about most of it already from reading so much stuff in these forums. The last chapter I had to read several times because it got into trimix which I have had no experience with so everything was new to me. I love learing new things like this so I have enjoyed the course so far.

After the test the instructor just showed me aound their compressor and He and O2 cascades. Then around the Tech room a little to show me what we will be doing on Thurs night with all the cleaning.

So I go back on Thurs and we will O2 clean a tank and a valve, and blend EANx and Trimix.

Great class so far. Not real practical for the average Rec diver that is not working at a LDS but I like to learn as much as I can about the sport I am involved in and this has helped out a lot...

Phil

Shark Founding Member
    I took that course several years ago....helped me with the learning curve of TMx/EAN blending and O2 cleaning....has been well worth the investment in time/money.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I believe many divers would be better off if they took some of the nuts and bolts type classes. It would help them understand some of the why's that go into it.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Grouper
    Yes, it's interesting stuff! If it wasn't for the $$, I'd have done the certification...

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post
    I believe many divers would be better off if they took some of the nuts and bolts type classes. It would help them understand some of the why's that go into it.
    I agree with that. I think that there is to many divers out there that just go under water and swim around. They do not know the hows or whys to diving. Not that I think I know all the answers, but I certainly like to quest in trying. There is so much out there to learn beyond the OW and AOW classes, and it is all very interesting. Well interesting to me anyway.

I am really considering the PSI course too, but in the end it does come down to money and I just do not think I can swing it this year. I do not have a whole ton of tanks but again just the knowledge I think would be worth it to me.

Phil

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I figure I'll save money over time, not much though.

$15 visual and $20 for O2 cleaning. Take the proper courses to do both and that means that the $70 per set of doubles which need it at least once a year if not more will now cost you less. I have 2 sets of doubles which means $140 per year to maintain them to O2 clean standards (based on prices around here) and some singles. In 2 years with 6 cylinders O2 clean it will pay off. The recert is only $150 so the payoff after 3 years is easier.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skdvr View Post
    So I go back on Thurs and we will O2 clean a tank and a valve, and blend EANx and Trimix.

Phil
    I'll send you my AL40 to 02 clean for me in class.
    Please PM me if you need any help.

Shark Founding Member
    Can you get it here tomorrow???

Phil

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings66 View Post
    I figure I'll save money over time, not much though.

$15 visual and $20 for O2 cleaning. Take the proper courses to do both and that means that the $70 per set of doubles which need it at least once a year if not more will now cost you less. I have 2 sets of doubles which means $140 per year to maintain them to O2 clean standards (based on prices around here) and some singles. In 2 years with 6 cylinders O2 clean it will pay off. The recert is only $150 so the payoff after 3 years is easier.
    Around here

Vis $14

O2 clean tank $25

O2 clean valve $25

It could add up much quicker...

Phil

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skdvr View Post
    Can you get it here tomorrow???

Phil