Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holding breath

Shark
    It was a chick. And I think it was something like 3 minutes.

Isn't that incredible?

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Isn't that incredible?
    3 mins is unbelievable......speechless...must have felt like eternity

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverMAN View Post
    I've heard that if you take short quick breaths to warm up then one big breath right before you go down is helpful because the short quick breaths get the carbon monoxide out of your blood, so you can stay down longer. I've recently tried it and it seemed to work...
    Guessing you mean carbon dioxide. By hyperventilating you are expelling more CO2 and thus raising your blood pH, thus making it longer before the blood pH drops (indicating CO2 buildup) and you are forced to breathe. It's all one big chemistry experiment pretty much...

Blood pH regulates your breathing

Shark Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Isn't that incredible?
    The record for free diving time is 9 minutes 8 seconds. The record for holding a breath underwater is 16 minutes 14 seconds. This can be found here.

Here's another site that show records (both depth & time) for men & women.
    "Human beings are flawed individuals. The cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early. And that's the reason we're as crazy as we are." - Desdemona

You don't know Desdemona? . . . "She runs this space station and bake shop down near Boomtown."
    - Jimmy Buffett

Grouper

Take a Class?

There are classes offered, but I have never taken one.

1. I breath normally - easy low diaphragm breathing- not shallow chest breathing. Calming down is most important for me. If I am being tossed around on the surface and white caps are going over my snorkel a lot it is hard for me to calm down. Visibility also has a role in my calming down. 75% of the time, I can not see the bottom until I am within less than 15 feet of it. If the vis is 20' or better, I calm down easier.

2. I do not take overly deep breaths, fast breaths or suck in a large amount and hold to dive. I breath normal easy low diaphragm breathing. I actually let out a little air before submerging - not overly full lungful of air. relaxed and calm.

3. I equalize my mask, ears, sinuses by gently letting a little air out my nose on the way down.

4. I tend to spit the snorkel out of my mouth when diving in calm seas less than 4'.

5. I let a little air out of my mouth and nose while hunting and gathering near the bottom.

6. I stay on the surface about 2.5-3 minutes before submerging again.

I am neutrally buoyant at 25' for abalone diving (25-35'). I would remove some weight to be neutral at 30' if going deeper than 40'.

Shark
    for me, it's all mental... My personal best was 4 minutes 30 seconds, but that was just under water, not swimming... Once I get myself moved down to the caribbean, I plan on practicing and playing on a daily basis...

Especially, now, the GEO dive computer I have tracks free dives with nitrogen loading as well...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Grouper
    The record for free diving time is 9 minutes 8 seconds. The record for holding a breath underwater is 16 minutes 14 seconds. This can be found here.

Here's another site that show records (both depth & time) for men & women.[/quote]

This is crazy!! 16mins? You have to have lived in a hyperbaric chamber for a year to get your red blood cell count up that high....WOW

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by mixahl View Post

This is crazy!! 16mins? You have to have lived in a hyperbaric chamber for a year to get your red blood cell count up that high....WOW
    Or they were working with the tour de France teams

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by terrillja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mixahl View Post

Or they were working with the tour de France teams
    sounds easier to do, right!

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    I usually train by holding my breath while I am posting on this forum. I have been holding my breath now for about 2 1/2 minutes, and while my brain is telling my I needs oxygennns, I igmore them and dust go on tyfing aaaaway at da keybore da til ma brane flanks at pass out and more fish food at three till the cow............gfdg..........dfg.g............. fdbvgdf ................

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information