Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Holding breath

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverMAN View Post
    I've heard that if you take short quick breaths to warm up then one big breath right before you go down is helpful because the short quick breaths get the carbon monoxide out of your blood, so you can stay down longer. I've recently tried it and it seemed to work...
    Actually, then he will blackout and die... and is carbon dioxide... one more oxygen atom!

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by bennerman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverMAN View Post
    I've heard that if you take short quick breaths to warm up then one big breath right before you go down is helpful because the short quick breaths get the carbon monoxide out of your blood, so you can stay down longer. I've recently tried it and it seemed to work...
    Actually, then he will blackout and die... and is carbon dioxide... one more oxygen atom!
    you can usually get away with up to three breaths just before diving down...

however, if you do it too much, your body uses up the oxygen in the air contained within your lungs as you are submerged, your body thinks its ok because it hasn't built up enough carbon dioxide to make your body try to involuntarily breathe... as you are surfacing, the partial pressure of oxygen in your lungs drops below .16 ata and you black out in shallow water, and unless you have a really good buddy, you will fall to the bottom and drown...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Grouper
    Now I want to get into this... curses upon this forum

TadPole
    Do you guys dive after a long breath without exhaling? I have hard time to dive if I don't exhale most air in my lung So which is the correct way?

Grouper
    From my experience as a swimmer (and by extension free diver while screwing around), the longest breath holds for me are done on half a breath. Hyperventilate for 3 breaths, take a deep breath then let half of it out on the way down.

My theory is that the strain from trying to hold a lung full of air burns more oxygen than holding a relaxed breath.

My current record is somewhere near 1m45. You need to find what works for you though.

Like mentioned before though, never do this alone, shallow water blackouts are common and not to be taken lightly.

Grouper
    Take a look at DeeperBlue "How to Start Freediving" Beginner Freediving

Sign-up on SpearBoard California section.

Your visibility is better and freedive depths tend to be deeper than ours in Northern California.

I breath up with slow deep diaphragm breaths until I am calm. I do not overfill my lungs as I upend. I spit my snorkel out and let a few bubbles out as I submerge. I equalize constantly on the way down and also when surfacing.

I use a weight belt 2/3 of weight and a weight vest 1/3 of weight. No problem dropping to 30 feet where I am neutrally buoyant even if I overfilled my lungs.

TadPole
    wow, 1m45!! I have a looooong way to go, from my current 1m:-P

Quote Originally Posted by Lenaxia View Post
    From my experience as a swimmer (and by extension free diver while screwing around), the longest breath holds for me are done on half a breath. Hyperventilate for 3 breaths, take a deep breath then let half of it out on the way down.

My theory is that the strain from trying to hold a lung full of air burns more oxygen than holding a relaxed breath.

My current record is somewhere near 1m45. You need to find what works for you though.

Like mentioned before though, never do this alone, shallow water blackouts are common and not to be taken lightly.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information