Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Good beginners camera??

TadPole

update - shots from my SD750

Went to the local quarry last weekend, got some nice pics of local wildlife. These fish are definitely not camera shy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grouper
    sea life reef master mini seems like a decent camera
    waterproof to 130ft no housing needed!!!
    you can add a strobe to the package to if you want!

Grouper
    Canon A5seventyIS with Canon UW housing if you can find one theses days........about $300 US for both.........

Shark
    I didn't read this whole thread, but I thought I'd throw one out there - my recent purchase... Olympus 1030SW, got for $300 straight from Oly, then the Oly housing (it's half the size of the ikelite housing) for $189...

The biggest benefit of this combination (and any of the other SW cameras) is that they are waterproof by themselves... So, if for whatever reason the housing were to flood, or if you just wanted to open the housing while on the boat, you wouldn't have to worry about it... The 1030 is depth rated to 33 feet, so on certain dives you could take it by itself... (most of their cameras are only rated to 10 feet)...

forgot to add - it is also a ~relatively~ wide angle lens, at 28mm equivalent

Just something to think about...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekybiker View Post
    I highly recommend the fujifilm line of cameras.
    I have a f30, but the f20, f30, or even the f10 series are all spectacular low light performers. The f30 series has a good 2 stops better sensitivity with similar noise than its closest P&S competitor. It comes with an underwater mode that does make the photos look significantly better if you dont want to fuss around in photoshop. The housing isnt horribly expensive either.

I have the F20 & love it! I second the great low light performer. I do wonder if they make UW housing for it, I would love to make my f20 an UW camera for my upcoming trip. I searched & came up with the f30 housing. A couple of websites say the f20 will fit in the f30 housing, but I think I will email fuji before I purchase the housing.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsuguy View Post
    I didn't read this whole thread, but I thought I'd throw one out there - my recent purchase... Olympus 1030SW, got for $300 straight from Oly, then the Oly housing (it's half the size of the ikelite housing) for $189...

The biggest benefit of this combination (and any of the other SW cameras) is that they are waterproof by themselves... So, if for whatever reason the housing were to flood, or if you just wanted to open the housing while on the boat, you wouldn't have to worry about it... The 1030 is depth rated to 33 feet, so on certain dives you could take it by itself... (most of their cameras are only rated to 10 feet)...

forgot to add - it is also a ~relatively~ wide angle lens, at 28mm equivalent

Just something to think about...
    I have the older version of this, the 770SW (older as in about 9 months old now), and I like it for all the same reasons you do. I don't have to baby it, don't have to worry about it flooding, and I like the small size even in the housing.

Canon SD850

I have a Canon SD850 (with the WP DC15 housing), and I really like it. 8 MP, with a good 640x480 30 fps movie mode. It seems to have enough abilities to fine tune the pictures to make it seem kind of like a good SLR, but it also has plenty of presets, since it is a point-and-shoot. It's supposed to be waterproof on its own (I'm not going to test that, if I don't have to), and the housing is rated for 100 feet or so. One deficit is that it doesn't have the ability to use an external flash, I guess (but the question was for a beginner one, so maybe you don't need that level of quality yet). You can order it from amazon for $386 for the camera and housing. If you're interested, I have a lot of pictures and videos (mostly unedited, i've tweaked a couple pictures' contrasts and colors lightly in Vista's photo viewer) at Picasa Web Albums - mike, all taken with this camera.
    Last edited by turnpikemike; 09-04-2008 at 18:24.

Canon A720IS with Canon housing.....good existing light shots....so compact that it fits in one pocket of my backpack carryon (along with extra batteries/recharger). Does decent video too, unlimited length other than by the card size).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information