Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great Lake Diving

Quote Originally Posted by Webfeet View Post
    Methinks they jest with thou.

It would be very atypical. When I dove Arabia (over a Labor Day weekend in the late 90's) it never got over 40 (at depth). I have also dove Penetang several times and ditto for the 100 footers there. Incidentaly, I am also an ice diver. You are in a great spot for great diving but it is serious stuff.
    He didn't sound like he was joking. Maybe he was just narc'd. Mind you, my shore dive at 71F is really warm for Picton/Kingston. Most the guys with 1000+ dives said they never see it go about 65F in the place I dove. Seems like it might just be a warmer summer.

As for deaths on the Arabia, I think I've read about 11 of them. Most of them have been people who weren't in the best of shape and really diving beyond their personal limits. I'm in no rush to dive the Arabia. I'm still working on buoyancy and better air consumption.

Guppy
    Osprey Charters out of Barcelona NY. is the best wreck diving outfit on the southern shore of Lake Erie, Most of the wrecks are in very good condition due to the cold water temps. And all of the ones they dive are fairly deep, with the shallowest being at 90 feet. Google Osprey Charters, they have a great web site

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Webfeet View Post
    are you braggin or complaining?

Penetang - Georgian Bay - Huron - unbelievable. Big vis, nice topside too. Now is the time for the best surface water temps. Cold at depth and lots of wrecks. Try a 2 day live aboard.

Lake Erie - great dives for all abilities, Try the Dean Richmond for a challenge. On a good day the Dean will come into view about halfway down the mooring line (tied to its screw) to it's 110 depth. It will lay out below you upside down showing its hull. Cold (again) and air goes fast moving around this wreck. Watch for the treble hooks. The Cribs are off of Lawrence Park - a good shore dive. depth at 20 - 30 feet. Park at the LP boat launch and swim out w/ your buddy, float and a big innertube. Lots of fishing poles, anchors... use the innertube to haul your finds back to shore. Pick a nice flat day and the swim will be no sweat. Stop at Ricardo's on East Lake Rd. and have some spags on the way home.

Have fun
    brother where are you from ? . Ricardos is about 2 min. from my work, If you do the cribbs again this season let us know, would love to join you if we can

TadPole
    I'll bet you work at GE. I moved away from Erie in '90; now live in NC. Still have a place in Erie and get back often. Found alot of stuff around the cribs over the years. Usually dive it off a boat though. Next time we (wife and daughter dive as well) plan on diving Erie I let you know.

Good post on Osprey charters, have you dove with them? I checked out their website - impressive.

The guy who once owned Ricardo's won it in a poker game.

TadPole
    Images
    check out the book "the great lakes diving guide 2nd edition ' by Chris Kohl it covers all the spots ...kingston, brockville, toby, oakville , lake erie all the great lakes dives $25.

cheers

Rob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information