Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good things you've seen divers do

TadPole
    I was diving out at Lake Medina, and some nice diver loaned me a pair of fins, as I had lost 1 out in the lake. I was able to dive for the rest of the day thanks to him.
    PS. Last time I buy negatively buoyant fins!

Grouper
    Images
    I've been part of a Project AWARE clean up dive at a local lake and I think those type of project are very good things for the environment.
    Opinions are like gas... We're all entitled to some but people appreciate you keeping it to yourself if it stinks!

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by rawalker View Post
    I've been part of a Project AWARE clean up dive at a local lake and I think those type of project are very good things for the environment.
    I am also a big fan of these projects. Am actually hopeing to get involved with some of these now that I live in DFW.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rawalker View Post
    I am also a big fan of these projects. Am actually hopeing to get involved with some of these now that I live in DFW.
    I was amazed at the amount of junk we brought up last time.
    People just don't realize that because you can't see the stuff on the surface doesn't mean it is biodegradeable and will not harm the environment. It isn't just bottles and cans either we brought up boomboxes, cellphones, sunglasses, fishing rods(which I recycled), a shopping cart, a road sign, it really is sad. If it weren't for divers some in land waterways would start to fill with trash.
    Opinions are like gas... We're all entitled to some but people appreciate you keeping it to yourself if it stinks!

Grouper
    I love to see divers cleaning the reef as they go and I do see it alot so that's a real positive for me.
    "Due to budget constraints the light at the end of the tunnel will be switched off".

more good than bad...

I've seen more good than bad behaviour.

- We were tied off at a buoy diving a wreck. Some other boat comes along, boat master tells him to tie off to our stern.
    - Diver from a different boat breaks a fin strap, everyone on our boat pulls out a spare strap and offers it for free.
    - EVERYONE helps EVERYONE close drysuit zippers, tuck in hoods, pull on gloves, etc.
    - Commercial ship traffic ripped the buoy off a wreck. The current is strong enough that the boat cannot turn off the engine without drifting out into the shipping channel. Two tech divers drop off the boat, no air in wings so they can get to the bottom, find the wreck in 10' viz and shoot a line up. That was so cool.
    - Lugging all my equipment back from a shore dive (up a hill 100' high). Diver arriving at the site see this, drives his car down the hill and MAKES me put my gear in the trunk. Thanks Terry.

TadPole
    Once in
    Puerto Rico, a fellow diver went back in to retrieve my weight pocket (settled at 50ft) I dropped on ascent.

I didn't even ask, what a guy.

vanessar

I did my OW in a university setting. I'm not exactly thin and a lot of times I was (and still am ) the last one out of the pool. I would struggle with the long swims (had to do 900 yards for our final skills test) and just had a hard time keeping up in a lot of things. On top of that, I wasn't comfortable in deep water to begin with. It was often embarrassing, but I was absolutely determined to get my cert, so in my mind they would have to get over it and so would I.

However, toward the end of the semester we had finished a difficult drill that I had struggled on and one of our assistant instructors gave me a pep talk and just encouraged me to keep on keepin' on. It really made a difference and really helped me to finish the class. Then, on the final skills test, we were supposed to do 900 yards in 20 minutes. It took me until 25 minutes! But, the student assistant who was counting my laps kept encouraging me to finish and would count down the laps each time. I didn't think I'd be able to finish it quite honestly... 900 yards is a LONG WAY to swim! But he was encouraging while everyone else in the pool was silent. Good stuff!

Brandon
    Last edited by NeveSSL; 09-07-2008 at 02:38.

Guppy
    I usually just pick up trash, whenever I find a detached coral or sponge I try my best to re-attach it somewhere where it would be favorable.
    Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution

I like positive threads like this one too. When I was a new diver in the mid-80's, members of my scuba club and other divers on charters would help me out and give me lots of good advice. As a teen, my LDS owner took me under his wing and introduced me to ocean diving from lake diving. I've seen countless divers share gear, parts, etc with others. Taking trash out of the water is also a common practice. I think most divers are good people and enjoy the company of other divers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information