Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good things you've seen divers do

Grouper

Cool Good things you've seen divers do

With all the "bad things you've seen divers do" threads out there, especially when you look at other boards, it makes me somewhat disheartened. I tend to be positive. Life is full of people who are selfish and overconfident. Why should diving be any different. However, life is also full of people who are caring, nice and helpful to others. So here's what "good things I've seen divers do".

1. I saw a whole group that paid for a charter. However, a handicap diver was diving that day and everyone "helped" get that diver suited up and in the water. Upon completion they reversed the process. They didn't know the guy but they helped out of concern for a fellow diver.

2. I've been a part of a group that buoy'd several wrecks and ran lines to different "items of interest" so that newer divers can locate them. This was totally a volunteer effort.

3. I've taken my boat to a wreck to find that it already had a dive boat tied to the buoy. I was willing to wait but they yelled out and told me to throw a line. We tied up to them and had a wonderful dive.

4. Another time I was tied to a boat and when we all finished, they broke out food and offered some to me and the wife. We shared our drinks with them and had an informal party. Didn't know them but we shared diving stories.

5. Back when I was new to diving, I had several, what I thought of as senior, divers take me under their wing. They taught me many things and tricks. I wouldn't be the diver I am today without them. Not to say I know everything, but I learned many tricks that aren't in a book. I'm a safer and better diver today because of their time and help.

6. During a trip, two divers made a mistake and ended up drifting away from the boat. They also had an equipment malfunction. The entire boat swung into action. I was amazed how everyone turned into a "crew member" with the total focus (and concern) being on the two divers. Not one person complained about diving time lost or how "they must of screwed up".

These are just 6 of my "good things divers do". I have many more of them than I have "bad things".

Shark Founding Member

Thumbs up

This is a great thread....'positive' thoughts for a change!!!!

I too have witnessed many fellow divers lend gear....friendly advise and help to others in need. Mentor newer divers and comfort those in need of a bit of encouragement.

There are some crummy folks whom have diving cards....but those whom are giving and helpful sure out number the bad apples.

PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by texdiveguy View Post
    This is a great thread....'positive' thoughts for a change!!!!

I too have witnessed many fellow divers lend gear....friendly advise and help to others in need. Mentor newer divers and comfort those in need of a bit of encouragement.

There are some crummy folks whom have diving cards....but those whom are giving and helpful sure out number the bad apples.

You mention lending gear. Many times, I have pulled out my "save a dive" kit and repaired something or loaned something. Just as soon as I started thinking "boy, I've got my SH** together", I showed up to a dive and realized I'd left an entire bag at home. God, was I embarrassed. How could I have done something so stupid? Well the entire group started digging in bags. One guy had some fins, another a mask and the list went on and on. I dove on schedule. Course, I had to buy some beers afterwards but that was more to save my ego than to pay them back.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    My buddy Steve McKenna rescued Cupid the turtle. (see link)

Loggerhead Marinelife Center of Juno Beach - seaturtlehospitalCupid

He has also cut a pound or so of weight, leader and hook from a Manta Ray that had been snagged by a fisherman.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Shark
    I did Aquatic Safari's (Wilmington, NC) annual Safari Hunt on the Alexander Ramsey. The shop had placed tokens on the wreck for divers to find. The tokens had numbers on them, and later you got a prize for the token. You could get three. One of the junior divers didn't find any tokens, but another diver gave him one of his. The prize turned out to be a membership with a boat-towing company. The kid didn't have a boat, and he ended up trading the membership to another diver, for a BCD.

Grouper
    My girlfriend rescued a nurse shark that had managed to beach itself while accompanying a friend on their certification dive on the Navarre Pier in Florida.

She also rescued a remora that a fisherman had hooked.

Grouper
    Good things I've seen divers do?
    Take a noob diver, show them all the cool things on a site, not complain when the dive is only 25min due to noob's high air consumption, teach them skills, know when to offer advice and when to let them figure it out by themselves, not bitch when the noob is learning to lead a dive and gets them slightly lost and just generally be a top buddy.

Cheers+beers to them! Which reminds me, I've got some paying forward to do...

The divers around here kitted up a new diver who had just returned from Afgahanistan.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BouzoukiJoe View Post
    The divers around here kitted up a new diver who had just returned from Afgahanistan.
    Along those lines, Scott Zeagle set up a combat vet who lost his right arm with a left-armed, custom BC, complete with his unit's patch on it.

Grouper
    Nothing quite as heroic as some of the great stories here, but one of my regular dive buddies picks up random bits of garbage (mainly those foil potato chip bags and plastic shopping bags) in the water and on the walk back up the beach so he can throw it away properly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information