Thread: Proper Weighting

Guppy

Proper Weighting

Hi Ladies! I'm new to diving and this forum. I have my final written test and pool session next weekend then have OW cert over Memorial Day weekend. I am having a blast!

My challenge is that I am a lot more buoyant in my older years then I was when I was a young fish. Things are changing and I float... something I never could do before. I have a lot of trouble getting my body to go down and stay there.

I find my feet/legs tend to float up. We worked on buoyancy yesterday and I had a really difficult time. I had 8 lbs of hard weights on a web belt.

I am thinking of getting a weight harness and try ankle weights. I figure if I can get my weighting under control and then keep them consistent that would be a good thing.

Is this a good way to go or should I focus on other things first? Did anyone else have this challenge and if you did what did you do?

DiverMom

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Hi DiverMom! Welcome to ST!!!
    I haven't had any first hand experience with what is going on with you, but I did find this old thread with some good tips on sinking. Hopefully it'll help you out. http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-sto...-how-sink.html
    Here's another older thread that talks about feet floating up. http://forum.scubatoys.com/womens-is...oating-up.html There are several people that recommend ankle weights in that thread and I know several people would disagree with that advice. Some people say that using ankle weights are like using a band aide and it doesn't correct the problem. Just food for thought. Good luck and let us know if you get it figured out.
    If I can't scuba then what's this whole thing about, what am I working toward? - Creed "The Office"

Grouper
    We had a young lady training to be a DM that tagged along in my classes, she used to keep lead shots at the tips of her fins to keep her feet down since her feet, even with booties, were still a little small for most conventional fins anyway. I obviously don't know your shoe size, but it may be an option? Good luck!

Moderator ST-Forum Mod WV Diver's Avatar
    Images
    DiverMom,

Everyone has weight issues as a beginner. I would focus on buoyancy first. Get used to being in the water, practice hovering etc. Whatever issues you have now with your trim will change as you gain experience and get comfortable diving.

Your dive instructor is the first and best place for you to start. No one can give you better advice, in the beginning, than a good experienced instructor that is there with you and can see first hand what your issues are.

Having said this I would venture to guess that your floaty feet will correct themselves as you get more dives under your weight belt so to speak. As you dial in your proper weight needs you can adjust where to place them to meet your trim needs and possibly correct your problem. If not then I would suggest you start by finding a good pair of negative buoyancy fins and experiment with different styles of booties as they can also differ in buoyancy between brands as well as thicknesses.

Most folks take 25 -30 dives to get good buoyancy skills. From here you can begin to dial in the proper amount of weight and where it needs to be placed. Patience is important and practice and experience with your buoyancy is the best way to get past these obstacles.

Good luck and dive often.

1-877-728-2243
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgment.

A series of unrecognized mistakes does not constitute experience.

I'm a NMOF and proud of it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Grouper
    ankle weights sound like a good idea.
    you can get some fins that are negatively buoyant.

Guppy
    Thank you all for your help. We had another pool session Sunday, I forgot my boots so had to go with bare feet but I could get to the bottom and stay there. So I am thinking it was trapped air in my boots. I also moved the weights more to the front and I was able to sit on the bottom without going sideways.

Now we do OW so it will be a new challenge with the wetsuit. LOL!

Thank you again! It helps so much to get others POV.

Grouper
    If I'm in warm water I add a little water in my suit. It seems to help.

Also consider that different fins havew different bouyancy. Some sink. Some float. Perhaps you need different fins.

one other thing to consider is tank placement. moving the tank forward or back an inch or two can have an effect on your trim. make sure you are consistent and then adjust if necessary.

just my 2 psi.

Shark Founding Member
    I agree with moving the tank down a bit. It's amazing what a difference just a couple of inches can make in tank placement. I've found that having the bottom of the tank sit between my butt cheeks provides the perfect balance. I also agree about checking how buoyant your fins are.

My first pair of fins were positive, which although didn't lead to totally floaty feet, I could feel the fins were positive. So I went with a pair of negative fins, and struggled a bit with slightly heavy feet, though adjusted within a few dives. Now we're headed to Bonaire so I needed hard soled booties and will be using my husband's old fins which are very slightly negative (one might consider them "neutral"), so we'll see what happens there.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Thread Information