Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What is a "DIR Diver" ?

Shark Founding Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by in_cavediver View Post

GUE came into its own after I'd gone a ways down the tec path. At this point, I don't see any point in taking classes to learn to do dives I have been doing for several years. I'd rather go dive with folks and use a mentor type process with more expierenced divers to evolve my diving now.
    Ditto to Caves statement.

My TDI training in the technical side of recreational diving was/is as comprehensive as other agencies...and that includes GUE. I have always heard positives for the most part on GUE programs....and I to have read some of the the GUE materials and watched the DVD's just like I have done with DSAT and NAUI tech materials. When it come to wreck diving I have about covered the whole spectrum of agency materials! In general it's all good, some highlighting certain aspects more than others, but as a whole the core material is pretty standard.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by Gombessa View Post
    Buoyancy and trim was pretty much the same as well.
    Once you're at the level of Cave 1, I imagine there's a lot more similarity than difference. The equipment will all be very similar (long-hose, bp/w, etc.), buoyancy/trim have to be near-mastered, etc. The biggest difference in equipment/skill for general OW divers is probably going to be between the OW/AOW and Fundies-levels.
    Technically, Full Cave with NACD/NSS-CDS is more Cave-2 to Cave-3 territory than Cave-1. It all depends on what you have done since cert as to which is a better fit. I personally will do multi-stage dives with jumps, traverses and circuits. I'll even add deco to the mix as well. I don't scooter though. Something about not owning two.....

Grouper
    Technically, Full Cave with NACD/NSS-CDS is more Cave-2 to Cave-3 territory than Cave-1.
    I see. Still, the point stands that the more advanced you go, the smaller and less skill-based the differences become. Compare you average Fundies diver to your average AOW/Master Diver diver though, and the differences are usually vast.

Barracuda
    Technically, Full Cave with NACD/NSS-CDS is more Cave-2 to Cave-3 territory than Cave-1.
    I see. Still, the point stands that the more advanced you go, the smaller and less skill-based the differences become. Compare you average Fundies diver to your average AOW/Master Diver diver though, and the differences are usually vast.
    I've thought about this over the last few days and you know, I don't think that's the proper comparison. Full Cave is Cave-2ish, intro is Cave-1. Not sure the best comparison on the tec side but guessing trimix is around tec-2 with advanced rec trimix at tec-1 level. Feel free to correct this.

I'd say fundies is more like intro to tec than it is master diver/AOW. It's not exactly a fair comparison to make for a fundies grad to a AOW diver. Different levels with different goals.

Grouper
    I've thought about this over the last few days and you know, I don't think that's the proper comparison. Full Cave is Cave-2ish, intro is Cave-1. Not sure the best comparison on the tec side but guessing trimix is around tec-2 with advanced rec trimix at tec-1 level. Feel free to correct this.

I'd say fundies is more like intro to tec than it is master diver/AOW. It's not exactly a fair comparison to make for a fundies grad to a AOW diver. Different levels with different goals.
    well cave 1 is a combination of cavern and intro. there is no gue cavern cert.
    and there is a rec-triox class that is probably comparable to the rec trimix class as opposed to tech 1. but I don't know too much about the rec trimix class.

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post

well cave 1 is a combination of cavern and intro. there is no gue cavern cert.
    and there is a rec-triox class that is probably comparable to the rec trimix class as opposed to tech 1. but I don't know too much about the rec trimix class.
    IANTD's rec trimix class is the only one I know the standards of and its 150' max with 15 minutes max deco. Basically thier deep diver and advanced nitrox programs but using trimix. Also should note, IANTD's advanced nitrox included deco procedures. Still, you may be right.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    I think what sometimes gets folks riled is the holier-than-thou attitude carried by some DIR divers. I repeat...some.

For instance, in another thread, a recreational diver started the thread with an anecdote in which he was "insta-buddied" with a DIR diver and that diver refused to dive with him because he was not DIR. A pompous a$$.

At the other end of the spectrum, we see divers like CompuDude, who are DIR divers, and appear willing to dive with any other diver, so long as that diver is safe. He imparts his DIR knowledge without condescension, and he appears to genuinely want to help other divers improve their technique based upon his real-world experiences. His answers, in several thousand posts, are never "Because DIR and GUE say it's THIS way". If I'm being presumptuous here, let me know.

It appears to me that GUE training provides a standard, not so much because This Is The Only Way, but rather, like the purpose of military training. That is, because each person is trained the SAME way using the SAME procedures with the SAME gear in the SAME configuration, the other team members know what to expect from each other and how the other guy's gear works and where it's located. Thus, in a critical situation when adrenaline is high, Training Takes Over. The DIR diver doesn't have to look at his buddy and think, "where's his octo?...where's his weight release?...how does he attach his BC?..." He already knows.

just my two pfennigs...
    rick

Grouper

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I had thought this one died out, well, not much left to say but I think we get the point here.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information