Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do "Tech" "HOG" or "DIR" divers use split fins?

Guppy

Do "Tech" "HOG" or "DIR" divers use split fins?

I have the apollo xts and love them. Just wondering whether those of you that fit into any of the 3 categories use splits? Pros cons etc..just wondering peoples thoughts on this.

Cheers,
    Lorne

Barracuda
    I use ScubaPro Jet fins personally. I find they help me maneuver better. I fall into the Tech/Hogathian categories.
    NAUI Instructor, NAUI Trimix Diver

Shark
    I've seen it a few times, but I use turtle fins, and most of the tech/hog/DIR divers I know use either Scubapro Jets or Turtles. I tried split fins with my tech gear once, and felt that the fins neither gave me enough precision movement control, nor enough power.

In my opinion, splits are great if you want to go fast with little load or effort, but when you're geared up in a drysuit and doubles and trying to move slowly through an overhead environment, they aren't really suitable.
    Matt Silvia

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    I hated my oceanic V12's in a drysuit and doubles. They are just too floppy!
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

Grouper
    i also use ScubaPro Jet Max fins, but I fall into the DIW category.

Split fins do not fit into DIR. As for Hog and Tech, I'm not sure where the lines are drawn.

Personally, I run turtles in cold water and XL jets in warm water. My wife runs the XL jets in cold water and L or M (I forget which) jets in warm water... so we have 3 pairs of fins between the two of us and it works great.

I like the ability to really "dig in" with the blade fins when I need LOTS of thrust and really want to move, and feel more precise and controlled regarding in-water positioning and movement with jet/turtle fins.

Fins are a very user-specific experience. The best fin is the one that allows the individual diver the most control, comfort, and manuverability while not creating silt bombs or damaging structure.

Of course, a lot of the silting and structure damage is more due to technique and skill than the fins themselves. I've seen highly proficient divers in split fins and absolute trainwrecks in jets/turtles.

Shark Founding Member
    Have a good dive buddy that is not a tech diver,,,but an avid sport diver and he really likes his split fins.

I use OMS Slipstreams myself with spring straps. I also like my older pairs of Mares Quattros with spring straps.

Most technical divers do not wear split fins.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Barracuda
    Images
    I think the split fins gets tangle in the reel when going into a wreck. I personally use wetsuit with split fins and drysuit with jet fins. Since I haven't gotten my drysuit yet, I'm still using split fins.
    Now a trimix diver!

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    I concur with Sounder and Tex.

Most tech/hog divers don't wear splits. There are exceptions.

DIR divers do NOT wear splits.

I mostly wear Jets or SlipStreams (which are just lightweight Jets) 95% of the time or so, but I've been known to slip on my pair of bio-fin XTs for the occasional easy recreational reef dive (and similar easy situations).

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by LCFrigon View Post
    I have the apollo xts and love them. Just wondering whether those of you that fit into any of the 3 categories use splits? Pros cons etc..just wondering peoples thoughts on this.

Cheers,
    Lorne
    By definition DIR divers do not use split fins. "tech" divers are generally pushing so much gear through the water that they need the more powerfull solid blade fins.

The key is to match the tool to the job. If you are just cruising around in a wetsuit and single tank you don't need "power" and using softer fins might let you stretch your air supply a few more minutes.

Also unless you dive frequently you don't want Jets unless youre looking to work out some leg muscles you didn't know you had.
    Last edited by ChrisA; 05-01-2008 at 16:46.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information