Thread: Diver's with down's syndrome

Grouper

Diver's with down's syndrome

Hello all,
    My son and work have been keeping me very very busy these days. My son is now 7 months old and getting bigger all of the time. He is needing special attention since he has down's syndrome. I'm curious has anyone here ever heard of or dove with someone with down's syndrome? Just curious.

Grouper
    You should check out this website:
    The DiveHeart Foundation - Home

Grouper
    That's a pretty cool website. I had always dreamed that my son would join under the water and I hope he still will be able to.

Grouper
    It's so great to know that among a lot of my favorite hobbies like scuba and motorcycling that there is always at least one organization making sure everyone gets the chance to take part.

Grouper
    Diving with down syndrome could be a problem because of equalization. How are his ears on air planes? If they are fine on planes than they should be fine under water.

Grouper
    It would all depend on if he could handle an emergency situation on his own. Like if someone kicked a regulator out of his mouth with a fin, he'd have to be able to safely get the regulator back in his mouth without panicking (a tough task even for fully alert/functioning people). At 7 months, it's kind of hard to tell though, and it'll still be awhile before he could attempt diving.
    -Matt

Grouper
    There are meny things that can keep him from being able to go under the water. Ears are deffinitely one. I was just wondering if anyone had heard of a diver who had down's.

Barracuda
    Joplin, MO-10 Miles from Blue Water Lake (AKA ORONOGO)
    Ears could be a problem because many people with Down's syndrome have a chronic runny nose and otitis.

There are also some cardiac anomalies associated with Down's syndrome. You should be sure he does not have a ventricular septal defect. If he does, small air bubbles that would not usually manifest as DCI could cross over into the arterial system and have serious consequences.

There are also the cognitive issues others have addressed. At 7 months you probably have no idea of what his cognitive ability will ultimately be.

Also, have you had his neck checked for the possibility of atlanto-occipital subluxation? This may have consequences for SCUBA diving.

Or he may not be interested in diving. My 8 year old has no interest in SCUBA Rangers. At all. I am letting it be and maybe he will change his own mind. Or not.
    PADI Dive Master, Master Diver, and Cavern. SDI Solo Diver. DSAT Tec 50. TDI Trimix.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by matt151617 View Post
    It would all depend on if he could handle an emergency situation on his own. Like if someone kicked a regulator out of his mouth with a fin, he'd have to be able to safely get the regulator back in his mouth without panicking (a tough task even for fully alert/functioning people). At 7 months, it's kind of hard to tell though, and it'll still be awhile before he could attempt diving.
    That's true. It's too young to tell how he might handle any emergency situation, whether above water or underwater, since he's only 7 months old. Now, when you say it's a tough task for "fully alert/ functioning people" are you implying that people with Down Syndrome are not fully alert/ functioning?

Thread Information