Thread: Best deal on a dry suit?

Grouper

Best deal on a dry suit?

What is the best deals anyone has spotted on a dry suit these days?

Grouper
    Do you have any more idea about what you're looking for?

It's sort of like asking 'Has anyone seen a good deal on a car lately?'. There are different styles and materials (makes and models) and you need to find out which ones you are interested in.

Grouper
    I was looking at good all around suit probably a trilam. My experienace is pretty limited. I have only dove a DUI trilam rental with rock boots. It was pretty good. The DUI under garment kept me warm. I have been looking at whites, pinnicle, and bare. DUIs seem a bit pricy. The fusion looks like a nice suit. Especially in the warmer waters. Fusions seem to run about 1,000. Whites seems to have some nice discounted suits on their ebay store.

Basically I'm looking for a good performing suit at a good deal (aren't we all eh?) I'm shying away from used, I don't want something with a problem.

Grouper
    If you fit well into one of the sizes, the Pinnacle freedom looks like a decent deal to me. ST sells them, and will probably spot you a good price.

DUI has a closeouts and overstocks list on their website. You have to watch the measurements carefully, but you can get a deal there too.

USIA is a real deal for custom cut suits (only $100 or so over stock prices). The downside is that you have to wait a while since they make every suit once the order comes in.

Guppy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidder View Post
    I was looking at good all around suit probably a trilam. My experienace is pretty limited. I have only dove a DUI trilam rental with rock boots. It was pretty good. The DUI under garment kept me warm. I have been looking at whites, pinnicle, and bare. DUIs seem a bit pricy. The fusion looks like a nice suit. Especially in the warmer waters. Fusions seem to run about 1,000. Whites seems to have some nice discounted suits on their ebay store.

Basically I'm looking for a good performing suit at a good deal (aren't we all eh?) I'm shying away from used, I don't want something with a problem.
    Depending on your dive type, where you dive, water temp, depth and so forth can greatly depend on the type of suit you need. A good trilam suit will take you a long way. If your the advancing diver, you'll want something to advance with you. They are very durable and can take a beating. Most of Whites discounted suits are discounted for a reason. Some are no longer made, or returns. other are shell suit made of Bilam material, ok for the beginner but what if you wish to advance. Read the adds, for whites on ebay "If this suit has been used It is hard to tell". That tells me It is a return or end of line suit. You won't get any warranty and I know alot of people who have had nothing but bad luck dealing with whites. Bare, DUI and Pinnacle make great suits just to name a few. I was looking online as well for an entry level suit since I am a first time drysuit diver. I can honestly say that with a big purchase such as this you might want to think about long term when It comes to repairs and such. I am not saying buying used is not a good way to go, If you trust the source and ask the right questions then like many other items you will buy in your life time you will either feel right about It or not.

I bought a Bare trilam HD. front entry comes with LP hose, bag, talc,zip wax, lifetime warranty on the seems. I got the suspenders,hood, gloves with affixed boots for 1500.00 Canadian. I also know that If I have any issue with this suit my LDS will look after me, and If the suit needs to be sent back will give me a loaner. I have seen used whites suits for 500.00 but you need hoods, LP hoses,trek boots, so really at the end you will still spend the same or close to it with no warranty. Again I am not saying don't go used, but If you do just be careful. One good thing I have seen, most DIVERS selling off gear have maintained and are more trust worthy.

By the way scubatoys has some great prices and packages on drysuits !!!

Happy Diving
    Last edited by imasinker; 05-03-2008 at 14:30.

Barracuda
    I just ordered one of these, Bare Nex-Gen Pro Drysuit. I haven't gotten it or seen one yet, and it'll be my first drysuit. So that's about as far as I can comment on it.

Jack

Thread Information