Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP---Gonna Quit Smoking, need some help

Well, I'm gonna try the cold turkey method, because a box of those patches is 40 bucks(it's cheaper to smoke), but i really want to, both of my parents smoke so that kinda sucks(hillbillies), but i'm gonna get past it. I've got a jar set aside, to put 4 bucks a day in, and give it H3LL. Bad thing is, I'm cranky by nature so my wife is really not gonna like me in about a week. But thanks for the support, i'll give you guys some updates. Monday is gonna be the big day, so we'll see how it goes. To be honest i'm pretty nervous about it. And if your curious why monday, my wife gets back from texas, and w/o her around to ride me like a donkey about it, i probably won't do too hot.

Thanks again.

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpd525 View Post
    Well, I'm gonna try the cold turkey method, because a box of those patches is 40 bucks(it's cheaper to smoke), but i really want to, both of my parents smoke so that kinda sucks(hillbillies), but i'm gonna get past it. I've got a jar set aside, to put 4 bucks a day in, and give it H3LL. Bad thing is, I'm cranky by nature so my wife is really not gonna like me in about a week. But thanks for the support, i'll give you guys some updates. Monday is gonna be the big day, so we'll see how it goes. To be honest i'm pretty nervous about it. And if your curious why monday, my wife gets back from texas, and w/o her around to ride me like a donkey about it, i probably won't do too hot.

Thanks again.
    The best thing to do is to warn those who you will be around of this very thing (the part I highlighted above). Let them know that you'll be cranky, and they should be able to better understand and better support you and your efforts.

It's worthy it, my friend. Without a doubt.

Grouper Founding Member rktman26's Avatar
    I smoked from age 13-32, minus the three months I was in Boot Camp.
    When I quit, it was because I realized that I didn't really enjoy smoking very much anymore.
    I caught a bad chest cold, and couldn't shake it for about six weeks. Every morning in the shower, I was hacking up all kinds of nasty crap. Finally, I noticed a little bit of blood in the crap I was coughing up. I figured that that was a pretty damn good time to hang it up.
    I used the patch for about ten days, and after one of the crazy dreams they warn you about with the patch, I took them off and never looked back.
    I think what helped me was analyzing my habit...
    Think about this- How many cigarretes do you smoke a day that you really want, and how may are you smoking strictly because "I always smoke when I... (wake up, finish eating, get in the car, drive, get out of the car, etc...)
    I realized that I only wanted about 4 or 5 smokes a day. If you're going to try to taper off, make each cigarrette a concious decision. Cut out the rest and it's not so hard.

I knew I had it whipped about five months after my quit date. Picture this-
    I was in Iraq, and we would get mortared and all of us would head to the bunkers. We all crammed in to avoid getting hit. Well, the first thing I would here once we were all inside was "Who's got a light?" Six of us crammed into about 20 square feet of concrete bunker, and four of them are smoking.
    I knew I had it beat when I didn't light up.

Good luck, and don't give up on it

Grouper
    I am on day13 of no smoking. I decided to quit for several reasons but primarily for my 9yr old daughter and SCUBA. You have to want to first. Then whatever works best whether its patches, Zyban, Chantix. I tried before w/ Zyban. Didn't like it; it made sleep very restless and unrestful. It sdid work though for awhile. But now am usiong Chantix and it seems to be doing the trick. No real "jones" just the mental triggers to have a smoke.

Good luck to you though and if you don't succeed the first time try again with a different approach. If you really want to quit you'll find a way. Just like SCUBA, if you really want that new reg, or to take a trip to Austrailia and do a liveaboard, you'd find a way right?
    No sooner does man discover intelligence than he tries to involve it in his own stupidity.
    Jacques Yves Cousteau

Grouper Founding Member
    Good luck on Monday, mpd! If you find yourself craving, come post.
    If you can dream it, you can do it.

i'll sure try, I'm a police officer, and usually smoke the most, when i'm in my car at work, so that's gonna be hard. I think i'm gonna make the wife take my debit card from me, and just give me 5 bucks a day for lunch, that way I don't have any money to buy them. It's time to quit though, i've lost my grandmother, and just lost my granfather about 1 month ago due to smoking, and I don't want my family to go through what we went through, and having to watch someone fade away like that. And i think i'm gonna buy a punching bag, to help get aggression from lack of smoking out, and i've gotta start exercising or i'll end up about 20 pounds heavier, and i sure don't want that. But thanks for the support guys, i'm sure i'll leave an angry post on monday night. LOL!!!

I wish you luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mpd525 View Post
    i'll sure try, I'm a police officer, and usually smoke the most, when i'm in my car at work, so that's gonna be hard. I think i'm gonna make the wife take my debit card from me, and just give me 5 bucks a day for lunch, that way I don't have any money to buy them. It's time to quit though, i've lost my grandmother, and just lost my granfather about 1 month ago due to smoking, and I don't want my family to go through what we went through, and having to watch someone fade away like that. And i think i'm gonna buy a punching bag, to help get aggression from lack of smoking out, and i've gotta start exercising or i'll end up about 20 pounds heavier, and i sure don't want that. But thanks for the support guys, i'm sure i'll leave an angry post on monday night. LOL!!!
    Dude...you'll be fine. The way I did it was I had 3 days off in a row from work. I locked myself up in our room, threw out all of our smokes and fought it. I won, it lost. I still struggle with cravings, still want one from time to time. I just had to set my mind to it that I wasn't going to smoke, no matter what or how bad things got. Trust me, I've had some tough situations happen at work since then. If you feel like smoking, PM me...I'll talk to you.
    Come up slow, don't hold your breath, and don't mess with fish that are bigger than you!

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    A friend of mine at work beat it by quitting cold turkey. No program he tried did it, no drug his doctor prescribed did it. He had to want to quit and finally he did.

Another friend wanted to, his doctor tried to help him to quit. He had lung damage that affected him, now he's got about 3 months to live due to smoking. 15 years ago he was told to quit, he couldn't quite do it and now he's at the end of the road and spent what little money he has.

That is enough to make me quit, if I had started.
    Matthew P. Cummings
    Moberly MO

well, im hangin in their, not to mention it's been a crappy week, but i'm not doing to bad, as long as i stay away from other smokers.
    The only things in life you regret, are the Chances you don't take..----Jack Lemmon

Grouper
    good for you its the right decision in the end it saved you money and your life!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information