Thread: Dive op recommendations to dive the Rhone

Barracuda

Dive op recommendations to dive the Rhone

My family is heading down to St. Thomas for a week in June, and my dad for whatever reason has some obsession with diving the Rhone one day. We are looking for suggestions as to what dive ops other have used for the trip. Our plan is to ferry over and then dive the Rhone while my mom and sister shop or do something else to occupy themselves.

I did my Discover Scuba with Sail Caribbean Divers. Obviously, I was somewhat lacking in dive skills at the time, but they were very professional and gave a good safety briefing both before the boat left the pier and prior to the dive. Their gear seemed in good shape. I'd dive from their boat if I went back.

How about luck of the draw? I got to dive the Wreck of the Rhone on my Discover Scuba, and rub the lucky porthole!

Grouper
    Images
    I highly recommend Dive BVI, but they may not work for you since they are based in Virgin Gorda. They also have a shop on Marina Cay, which is off Beef Island by the airport. If you're coming in on the ferry, you'll want to get dropped off in Road Town (not Sopers Hole) to be closer to the Rhone, which is off Salt Island. Remember that most dive boats leave at 8 or 9 AM, so you'll probably need to stay overnight in the BVIs to dive the Rhone. My recommendation would be to take the last ferry to Road Town, take a cab to Trellis Bay, stay at Marina Cay overnight, and dive the Rhone in the AM with Dive BVI. Marina Cay is a relaxing private island with a nice reef for snorkelling, restaurant/bar, and gift shop. Keep in mind though - for the non-diving folks, there is little to no shopping in the BVIs - its not that kind of place

Dive BVI - It's what we do!
    I've got a Caribbean soul I can barely control...
    ~Jimmy Buffett

Shark Founding Member
    We did our charter with UBS Dive Center on Tortola. They provide private charters and will go where ever you want for as long as you want. We had 4 divers and the cost per person was the same as a regular dive op, but we had the boat to ourselves with a private guide instead of being on a 12 pack, and dove on our schedule which was really important since we were there from a cruise ship. Not sure how their prices stack up now, but it might be worth a look. Scuba Diving in the BVI � UBS Dive Center

Also, you might check out Chris Sawyer diving on St. Thomas. They take a charter to dive the Rhone every Friday (except September) for $175. Chris Sawyer Diving Center Might be a whole lot cheaper and convenient than taking the ferry, etc.
    Last edited by Zenagirl; 05-06-2008 at 15:14.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Thread Information