Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tulsa/Broken Arrow Divers! New water found?

Grouper
    Images

Tulsa/Broken Arrow Divers! New water found?

There is a body of water east of Broken Arrow. It is on 61st Street between 209th East Ave and the Creek Turnpike. There is no fence around it,and there is trails all around it, and I have seen people fishing there. The water looks like it could be clear enough to scuba in....but I'm not sure. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it?

Below is a link for a bird's eye view of the area. You can drag the picture around and rotate it for differant views.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTSN&cp=q0ch0v70ncmt&style =b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=16860849&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Megalodon
    Images
    From the view you posted (good job by the way, I can never get those to post right...) it looks like a somewhat shallow strip pit. Was there any mining in that area? The problem I have noted with some of these sites is that the water is either acidic or very alkalinic so while you can dive it, it's not very forgiving on your gear or your skin.

mm2002 had a thread with that as a side bar: http://forum.scubatoys.com/midwest/1...ke-diving.html

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Easiest way to find out is to get a pool test set and check the PH. Good luck! Hope it turns out to be a diveable spot.

Grouper
    Images
    I have seen it also and wondered the same thing. Let me know when you want to go dive it. It looks a lot clearer than the lakes look now. I have been looking for some place to dive.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerwink View Post
    I have seen it also and wondered the same thing. Let me know when you want to go dive it. It looks a lot clearer than the lakes look now. I have been looking for some place to dive.
    I would like to check the PH levels first (Spent way too much money on gear to have it ruined) and maybe walk around and check it out a bit before diving it.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Shark Founding Member
    My 'guess' is that the water is going to be very shallow with a nice mud bottom.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

it looks like a strip pit for when they did the creek turnpike construction. I would say it's probably not more than about 10ft. deep, but then again, i could be completely wrong/.
    The only things in life you regret, are the Chances you don't take..----Jack Lemmon

Megalodon
    Images
    I was going to guess a borrow pit, but the shape didn't look right. Looks more like some of the strip mines up around SE KS/SW MO. Strip pit would be 30'-40' deep, most borrow pits are around 10' as mpd525 said

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    I was going to guess a borrow pit, but the shape didn't look right. Looks more like some of the strip mines up around SE KS/SW MO. Strip pit would be 30'-40' deep, most borrow pits are around 10' as mpd525 said
    At this point with the way gas prices have been going up, and the lakes being so murky.....I'll take 10' depths!
    I have been there and it looks like it could be deeper than that. I went to a spot next to the road and I'm guessing at least 20', the way it was sloping down. And the water looks like it could possibly be clearer than Beaver Lake. (I didn't have very much time to spend there...had a softball game to attend)
    I'm not sure until I dive it!
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Guppy Founding Member
    Images
    interesting.. let us know how it goes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information