Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What SMB do you suggest?

What SMB do you suggest?

Looking at buying a SMB to shoot from depth. What would you recommend? the carter SMB look nice, but it does not look like ST's carries them. The only one they have that looks like it is what I need is this one. Signal Marker Buoy - Large Self Sealing, Accessories: Signaling, ScubaToys, Signal Marker Buoy - Large Self Sealing
    Any others you might recommend or any opinions on the one St's has.

Thanks

this SMB from Deep Sea Supply came highly recommended and i like it so far.

Do you use your LP hose? Or do you another air source? Im not to sure how comfortable I am with having to use my LP hose to inflate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanh1801 View Post
    Do you use your LP hose? Or do you another air source? Im not to sure how comfortable I am with having to use my LP hose to inflate it.
    you can use the LP hose if you want to, but i just blow it up like a balloon. one breath at depth and it's fully inflated at the surface.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    I have the 3.3 ft halcyon prerigged to shoot from 40 ft. or less. Oral or LP inflate only
    If I really want to be seen, this can't be beat. Almost 5.5 ft tall.
    I also carry a spool with 75 ft of line.
    Inflate with a 2nd stage at depth and can be inflated orally like a paper bag at the surface. FTR, the OMS was half the price of the halcyon.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    I have the 3.3 ft halcyon prerigged to shoot from 40 ft. or less. Oral or LP inflate only
    Inflate with a 2nd stage at depth and can be inflated orally like a paper bag at the surface. FTR, the OMS was half the price of the halcyon.
    How much was the OMS? I am thinking of getting one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanh1801 View Post
    I have seen DS divers disconnect the LP hose. I don't dive dry and would not disconnect a hose from my inflator. The halcyon can be inflated orally using the same Shrader fitting. Push came to shove, I suppose you could add a another lp hose with a QD coupling dedicated for a DSMB.

Now, (flame on) the easiest way I found to inflate an open or semi closed DSMB is with an Air2 or equivilant. No need to remove a reg from your mouth and no need to pull an octo loose from a retainer. Dump excess gas from your BC using into the bag. Buoyoncy remains constant. Get situated then "purge". Just keep the bag, line and spool away when the bag goes. A delrin spool you can kind of push away from you. It will not sink untill the bag hits the surface.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Quote Originally Posted by elijahb View Post
    How much was the OMS? I am thinking of getting one of these.
    $40 or $50 about a year ago.

Now, (flame on) the easiest way I found to inflate an open or semi closed DSMB is with an Air2 or equivilant. No need to remove a reg from your mouth and no need to pull an octo loose from a retainer. Dump excess gas from your BC using into the bag. Buoyoncy remains constant. Get situated then "purge". Just keep the bag, line and spool away when the bag goes. A delrin spool you can kind of push away from you. It will not sink untill the bag hits the surface.
    if you purge air from your BC, you will be negatively buoyant as soon as you release the bag, right? then you'll have to add air to your BC again.

using a SMB that you can orally inflate keeps the air in your BC intact, and you are just using waste gas anyway.

Guppy

Had good luck with the DAN smb.

I like the DAN jobbie. It has a mesh/velcro pocket to store a whistle, mirror & lightstick in. Can be inflated orally or via lp hose. Seems to be holding up well. Little pricey, but what ain't? I totally hate to see someone buying the plastic thing for $10 or so. Not durable, won't hold air, flops around when stuck up in the air...you get the idea.

Let's see, spend a few bucks now or watch the boat getting smaller while drifting away....
    Adjunct Staff at The Captain Morgan Rum Research Facility and Taste Testing Lab.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information