Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brigade or ranger? cant decide

Guppy

brigade or ranger? cant decide

I can't deside between the brigade or the ranger.

I 5'9" 270lbs and I live in Maryland so Ill be diving in colder water

so using a 7 mil suit or possibly a drysuit within the next year or so

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    That will depend on a few things. Now the only difference is the Brigade has a 35 lb lift - single tank bladder. The Ranger 44 lbs lift bladder that you could run duals on.

With your sizing, I'd guess you are putting on a fair amount of weight with a heavy suit. So then, do you want all the weight in the BC? Or will you also wear some on a belt.

For example, when I'm diving with a lot of lead, I put a belt on with 10 lbs, then put the rest in my BC.

The reason you want to look at this, is you want to have enough lift in the bladder to hold the BC, Tank, and integrated weights at the surface. Figure a full al80 being about 4 lbs negative, so if you are putting 30 lbs of lead in the BC, it would be close to sinking when toss it in the water - so then I'd say ranger bladder. If you are having just 20 lbs in the BC, the rest on you - then it would not make much difference.

I actually prefer that method as in an emergency, if I ditch (which I have never had to do) I have multiple options for ditching, and it doesn't send me like a Polaris missile to the surface just dumping half my weight from the BC or belt.

So balance out that thought with how much travel you will do and how important it is to keep the packing size down.

When in doubt, give us a call on Monday, and we'll talk you through it!

Guppy
    thanks Larry I may do that Monday

I dont know if Ill be diving with duels any time soon and I may consider doing that with the weight belt because I do have to carry alot of weight.

As far as traveling goes, I don't think I'll be doing a whole lot of that either

but I did just recently get certified so tring to think what might get into as part of what gear I'm consitering

Grouper Founding Member
    Those are both back inflates. Why don't you take a look at the back plate and wing systems. You can put together your own system from various components and change components as your diving progresses.

ST-Forum Mod
    A BC will give him the ability to spread the amount of weight he is using between a belt and the integrated weights and trim pockets. Also... a BC has pockets if you want them.

I understand a lot of folks on the boards like the BP/w configurations, and we sell them. But a Zeagle BC is also configurable and changable with different sizes for waist and shoulders, different bladders, and when you get on a boat in cozumel or cayman, or at the local dive site here... about 5% of the divers are using a BP/w setup.

Perhaps I need to build a BP/W free zone....

They are good for what they are intended for - but for a lot of divers out there, including me, I'll take pockets, weights, padded shoulders any day over a BP/W. I'll use a BP/w if I want to run doubles... but honestly, I hate picking up one tank much less 2!

I'm what I like to call a 80 x 4 diver. Give me an 80 cubic foot tank, 80 foot depth, 80 foot of vis minimum and 80 degrees and I'm in pig heaven. And I'm going to do it in a Zeagle with a flashlight and camera accessories in my pockets and no weight belt on.

But they make the different stuff because people like different things.

Grouper Founding Member
    BP/W free zone---sounds good.

Grouper Founding Member
    Now, now...

I'm not trying to push BP/Ws. I just like every new diver to be well informed of the choices available to us (as I stated on another thread). I don't know if I would have bought a BP/W when I first got certified, but if I had, it would have saved me a few grand.

ST-Forum Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive-aholic View Post
    Now, now...

I'm not trying to push BP/Ws. I just like every new diver to be well informed of the choices available to us (as I stated on another thread). I don't know if I would have bought a BP/W when I first got certified, but if I had, it would have saved me a few grand.
    You spent a few grand on a bc?! Wow... We can outfit 2 divers with full gear for that.

Ok. There is a DIR section. We are seriously close to deleting and banning bp/w comments when not appropriate.

If someone posts up I'm trying to decide between a ranger and a brigade... bp/w was not in the equation. We had another where it was, my wife wants a jacket sytle bc. Any women have experience with one they like? And in comes BP/w.

I don't want to turn this board into "I'm decided on which split fins to buy" Get Jet Fins!

"Anyone have experience with the new zeagle inflator octo?" Never use one - you must have a necklaced octo and a 7' primary!

"Which console, air integrated computer has the largest display?" Never use a console - you must have a 22" pressure gauge only - no boot, cave line attaching to a snap ring and a bottom timer... or maybe we'll allow a wrist computer.

There are already forums for this... and I do not want to turn this one into one of those. I realize bp/w can be an option. Write up a nice long explanation of what you feel the Pluses are, and I'll sticky a post at the top of the BC's that says BP/W might be an option... and then unless someone asks a question about them - we leave the topic alone. Sound good?

Grouper Founding Member
    Actually, I spent a few grand on 2 complete set ups (I'm married to a diver).

I'm not DIR trained. BP/Ws are used by more than just those folks.

I understand what you're saying. I'm not trying to overcome the board with bp/w comments. I just was a couple of posts where I thought it might be appropriate to mention the bp/w. I also saw the thread about the jacket style bcd. Did you notice I didn't post there. I didn't see that as appropriate because it's not comparable.

I try to post appropriately to the subject. I'm not just interjecting bp/w whereever I can. I'm just trying to educate folks on the options available if they seem to be looking at that style anyway.

Here's a write up. It's still a work in progress. If you have any comments or suggestions, I'd be happy to consider them.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    The Ranger is a very nice BC, but so is the Brigade. If the brigade gives you enough lift (which it most likely does), I'd go for that one, since it's going to be smaller and easier to pack for travel.

I wouldn't use a regular BC for doubles. It can be done, but if your diving reaches that point, you'll be better off getting something designed from the ground up for use with doubles, rather than something that can be converted into something you can strap doubles onto in a pinch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information