Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Ear Beer

  1. #1
    Shark Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/10/2007
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,344

    Ear Beer

    I did not know where else to put this so I just thougth it would fit best in here.

    I wanted to make and start using Ear Beer after dives to keep my ears healthy and just wanted to know how you made it. I have seen a few recipes and want to make sure that I get it right...

    Thanks
    Phil

  2. #2
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/11/2007
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Age
    48
    Posts
    512
    Images
    12
    I've never heard the term "ear beer", but if you're talking about an after-dive ear cleaning solution, I use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and alcohol. The vinegar cleans and then the alcohol allows it to dry quickly. I've also read about mixing in mineral oil to replace the natural oils that are lost to the cleaning process. I put this into a small bottle with a dropper that I got from Wal-Mart. I don't bother with it in fresh-water lakes, but it certainly takes care of the salt from ocean diving.

  3. #3
    Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    ScubaToys Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    07/10/2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6,614
    As an additional note... this is a great mix to keep around. The vinegar (5% acidic acid solution) is also great for knocking out any marine stings you get... fire coral, sponge, etc...

  4. #4
    Shark Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/12/2007
    Location
    DFW-USA
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,372
    50/50 mix of white vinegar and standard rubbing alcohol.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

  5. #5
    Shark Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/12/2007
    Location
    DFW-USA
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    As an additional note... this is a great mix to keep around. The vinegar (5% acidic acid solution) is also great for knocking out any marine stings you get... fire coral, sponge, etc...
    Yea and if you run out of the 'ear beer' or 100% vinegar....in a pinch and miles from home/store/doc,, urine works great--really....for many jellyfish spec. stings,,,,but this might be a good Myth Busters show experiment. Not sure how it would do on irritations like fire coral and stuffs...?
    Last edited by texdiveguy; 08-05-2007 at 16:08.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

  6. #6
    Grouper Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/15/2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by texdiveguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    As an additional note... this is a great mix to keep around. The vinegar (5% acidic acid solution) is also great for knocking out any marine stings you get... fire coral, sponge, etc...
    Yea and if you run out of the 'ear beer' or 100% vinegar....in a pinch and miles from home/store/doc,, urine works great--really....for many spec.,,,,but this might be a good Myth Busters show experiment.
    $20 for a 2 oz bottle, pm me.

  7. #7
    Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    ScubaToys Larry's Avatar
    Join Date
    07/10/2007
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6,614
    Urine is going to be diluted ammonia... and ammonia is somewhat effective on marine stings, not as good as the white vinegar. And if you had asparagus that day - the whole urine thing.... it is better to smell like a salad with vinegar!

  8. #8
    Shark Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/12/2007
    Location
    DFW-USA
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    Urine is going to be diluted ammonia... and ammonia is somewhat effective on marine stings, not as good as the white vinegar. And if you had asparagus that day - the whole urine thing.... it is better to smell like a salad with vinegar!
    LOL your right!!! Good one... :-)
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

  9. #9
    Barracuda Founding Member
    Join Date
    07/14/2007
    Location
    United States - Kansas City, Missouri
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by texdiveguy View Post
    urine works great--really....for many jellyfish spec. stings,,,,but this might be a good Myth Busters show experiment. ?
    So... who gets to pee on Kari Byron?

  10. #10
    Grouper
    Join Date
    07/10/2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    592
    Images
    33
    My ENT said to make it 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 saline solution. He said adding the saline won't dry your ears out as badly as just alcohol....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •