Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first Time

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by BouzoukiJoe View Post
    Hi Scottyd!

I have only done one dive in the ocean solo and that was because my buddy had an equipment problem at the surface and I was waiting for him below. I won't dive solo again unless I have my pony and a backup mask with me.

Wanna make some day trips to Wilmington this summer? I might be able to do a few here and there.
    Not a prob, I have a few planned 6-20 on the dredge and dreg, 7-13 hyde/markam with carolina dive center and I am going with Gypsy on 9-6 and 9-7 (but I am part of their "wreck and deep class") for that one. I will PM you a list of openings I have on ncdivers, I know my schedule at work for the rest of the summer (especially if you can go during the week)
    I love the smell of neoprene in the morning

Grouper
    No buddy available. I started in my own lake that I know almost every square inch of and feel ok with my pony 19 at shallow depths.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    What Grin and No Misses said. And Thor, welcome to the tribe.

I have said before, somtimes the sign of a good buddy is one who makes sure you get you have a good grasp on your sausage when you wave off.

If I go on a charter and don't see anybody I really know, I will go solo. Depending on the dive, I might warn the DM pulling the ball that I'll be staying close to him. In those cases I will also tell him when I wave off.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotttyd View Post
    How did y'all end up diving solo for the first time?
    I did my first solo diving on my 13th. o/w dip after completing the basic o/w course.....seemed a nature thing to me....have enjoyed hundreds since then!
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Grand Master Spammer
    I enjoyed a couple of solo dives, but I stayed fairly shallow. Then there was the accidental one Saturday where I ended up alone at 58 ft in zero vis. That one wasn't fun.

Grouper
    Do boat Captains actually allow solo dives and do solo card holders really use them?

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by huvrr View Post
    Do boat Captains actually allow solo dives and do solo card holders really use them?

It is up to the captain or owner of the shop, but from what I have heard unless they know you very well and you have redundant air and cutting tools, most boat ops are leary of letting you solo if there is the ability to pair you up with someone.

Now as far as local quarries and SCUBA parks, having that card along with the required gear is the only way to dive solo. In the Mid Atlantic area there are three places that I know of that require a buddy or the solo certification with redundancy. That is just in PA VA and NC...I don't know about anywhere else.
    Get Wet,
    Eric

Shark Founding Member
    Of 4 private Tx. scuba parks I have direct knowledge of that are still in operation, only one requires a solo certf. when diving on your own.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

When I go on charters here, on the cattle boats at least, there is usually a question 'Does everyone have a buddy'. If you don't speak up, they would never even know you were solo. There's no guide and each team makes its own dive plan (hopefully) within the limits the boat has set. So if you were so inclined you could dive solo without it ever being known. Same sort of thing with the quarries, but how on earth could they enforce the buddy rule? I'm not advocating solo diving, nor am I condemning it, just saying that although there are rules against solo diving they are not practically enforceable. I guess they could ask each diver as he hits the water who his buddy is? What's to prevent him from lying? What's to prevent two solo divers from pretending they are buddies? Actually, that might not be so different from what some real "buddy" teams do.

Grouper
    Images
    Here two of the quarries watch for diver's coming out of the lake. If they do not have a buddy they are asked about it. If they have no buddy and did not register as a solo diver, they are usually kicked out for the day. The rules say more than one instance can result in being banned.

I saw one guy going into the lake by himself and one of the employees ran up and asked him where his buddy was. Turns out the buddy was floating in the water waiting while he went back for more weight.

It is very hard to enforce that rule, but if the rule is there and you break it, it relieves the liability they could face if you were to die while diving.
    Get Wet,
    Eric

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information