Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your first Time

Grouper
    Images
    Started solo diving because main dive buddy is p-whipped!

TadPole
    I've considered doing a little solo diving. Haven't yet simply because I don't believe that I have enough buddy dives under my belt.
    Have considered going to the lake and solo dive around swimming area while the wife and kid swim. No more that 20 ft or so.
    I know that ANYTHING could happen, but do you guys think that if I payed attention I would be reasonably safe doing this?

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowyorang View Post
    I've considered doing a little solo diving. Haven't yet simply because I don't believe that I have enough buddy dives under my belt.
    Have considered going to the lake and solo dive around swimming area while the wife and kid swim. No more that 20 ft or so.
    I know that ANYTHING could happen, but do you guys think that if I payed attention I would be reasonably safe doing this?
    I started at about 20' - 30' for several dives. Eventually got a 19cf pony bottle and worked my way out to 50'-60'. That is as deep as I want to go without buddy!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by DOWNDEEP73 View Post
    I started at about 20' - 30' for several dives. Eventually got a 19cf pony bottle and worked my way out to 50'-60'. That is as deep as I want to go without buddy!
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not the type to just go jump into a potentially dangerous situation. But I figured at that depth I could pretty easily do a controled accent without too much worry.
    Definantly would look into getting a pony if I were to go any deeper. In fact I've been considering getting a pony anyway for diving in some hydro electric units with my dad. Extra security can't be beat.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bowyorang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DOWNDEEP73 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not the type to just go jump into a potentially dangerous situation. But I figured at that depth I could pretty easily do a controled accent without too much worry.
    Definantly would look into getting a pony if I were to go any deeper. In fact I've been considering getting a pony anyway for diving in some hydro electric units with my dad. Extra security can't be beat.
    In my opinion, everyone should have one and a fill whip!
    It may or may not save your life someday, but it does give you some piece of mind that you have some backup in a OOA situation.

Grand Master Spammer
    I agree, if you're going to solo, carry a pony. I bought one just for that reason because I've done a couple of solos, and I'll undoubtedly do more. I think setting a depth limit is important too. I figure if I'm going solo, it'll be 30ft max. It may be different in waters with good vis, but in lakes you never know what you may run across. Also, don't forget plenty of cutting devices. I'm probably a bit overkill in that area, but it makes me comfortable.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mm2002 View Post
    I agree, if you're going to solo, carry a pony. I bought one just for that reason because I've done a couple of solos, and I'll undoubtedly do more. I think setting a depth limit is important too. I figure if I'm going solo, it'll be 30ft max. It may be different in waters with good vis, but in lakes you never know what you may run across. Also, don't forget plenty of cutting devices. I'm probably a bit overkill in that area, but it makes me comfortable.
    I agree with the cutting devices too.
    I carry big knife on left leg, Zeagle shears/knife on right shoulder strap, and a line cutter in left front pocket.
    You never know when you will get caught up on a snag, fishing line, trot line, jug lines, etc.

TadPole
    Well... My first real solo dive was on "No Misses" boat....

First time diving with him and another friend... On the way out, my buddy asks me: "How do you feel about the buddy system?"... I say "Always dove that way... "... I got a "Hum... " in return...

Well... wasn't that an experience... I have a ton of equipment, haven't dove in awhile and my buddy says "OK... I'll stay with you..." Well... apparently I was a bit nervous, so I managed to get tangled up in all my gear (flag and line), suck down an entire tank of gas in less than 15 minutes and feel like a complete idiot... Needless to say, that was a solo dive for him... I think at that point no-one was WILLING to dive with me...

Things went a bit better on the 2nd and 3rd dive... Now we have the theory of "Same Ocean Same Dive! I still buddy dive with my boyfriend, but I have to admit, it's much more fun to dive solo when hunting.. I enjoy the peace and solitude...

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherdog View Post
    Well... My first real solo dive was on "No Misses" boat....

First time diving with him and another friend... On the way out, my buddy asks me: "How do you feel about the buddy system?"... I say "Always dove that way... "... I got a "Hum... " in return...

Well... wasn't that an experience... I have a ton of equipment, haven't dove in awhile and my buddy says "OK... I'll stay with you..." Well... apparently I was a bit nervous, so I managed to get tangled up in all my gear (flag and line), suck down an entire tank of gas in less than 15 minutes and feel like a complete idiot... Needless to say, that was a solo dive for him... I think at that point no-one was WILLING to dive with me...

Things went a bit better on the 2nd and 3rd dive... Now we have the theory of "Same Ocean Same Dive! I still buddy dive with my boyfriend, but I have to admit, it's much more fun to dive solo when hunting.. I enjoy the peace and solitude...
    Oh come on. It's not that bad. Just remember that if I am diving with you and I am out in front...It is not me tugging on your fin!

BTW: You scream like a girl
    * If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes *

TadPole
    My first dive was a solo dive (before certification). A friend (diver) and I went to Greers Ferry lake (Arkansas) in 1977. He was diving and I was going to snorkel. After a few minutes, he asked if I wanted to try it. I put on the equipment (which was pretty sparse back then) and went down to about 10-15 ft. The feeling of seclusion was unreal. All I thought was "I can actually swim across the bottom of the lake!" It was so cool!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information