Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your first Time

Grouper

Your first Time

How did y'all end up diving solo for the first time? I never have, I only will if I just cannot find anyone else, but I need to work up my gear more.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotttyd View Post
    How did y'all end up diving solo for the first time? I never have, I only will if I just cannot find anyone else, but I need to work up my gear more.
    No buddy. Not a lot of divers here and my work schedule made it even worse. Course, I didn't look to hard since I enjoy the peace and quiet and really wanted to solo dive.

Grouper
    When I started diving in 1957 other divers were few and far between. There also were no scuba classes yet so I read books, bought the gear and jumped in. So my first dive was also my first solo dive.

Grouper
    First time was not intended. As for that matter, the first 50 times were not intended. While diving SE Florida the current, and varying vis, is a easy recipe to see your dive buddy one second, then turn around and he's gone. At this point you go the direction you think he went, and after a minute of that your a solo diver. Add lobster diving to the mix, and the odds of ending up solo go way up. After awhile you decide you are a solo diver and prepare for every dive as if every dive is a solo dive. Solo diving here is very very common. Occassionally you have dive buddy who demands buddy diving or surface if you split up. That's fine with me, but I prefer the relaxing enjoyment of not having to pay attention to my buddys location continually.

Grouper
    Uh oh, here come the PADI Police!!!!! just kidding, I would be pissed if my buddy disappeared when I didn't have my limit.

Barracuda
    Images
    I did a fair amount of solo free diving (shallow) prior to getting into SCUBA. It just seemed natural to solo SCUBA.

As Grin said "It is easy to get seperated if both of you are actively hunting". If I am following you and I spot a big grouper off in the distance, you can bet your A$$ that I won't be banging my tank to get your attention as I swim off :-)
    * If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes *

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grin View Post
    First time was not intended. As for that matter, the first 50 times were not intended. While diving SE Florida the current, and varying vis, is a easy recipe to see your dive buddy one second, then turn around and he's gone. At this point you go the direction you think he went, and after a minute of that your a solo diver. Add lobster diving to the mix, and the odds of ending up solo go way up. After awhile you decide you are a solo diver and prepare for every dive as if every dive is a solo dive. Solo diving here is very very common. Occassionally you have dive buddy who demands buddy diving or surface if you split up. That's fine with me, but I prefer the relaxing enjoyment of not having to pay attention to my buddys location continually.

That recently happened to me when I was in Jupiter. It was a bit scary the first time, but only in retrospect. At the time, it was great. I'm glad I had a compass with me. After I thought about how unprepared I was to dive solo (no pony bottle, spare air etc.), it made me think. That experience actually changed the way I now dive, as far as my safety is concerned.

Grouper
    Images
    The first OW dive I did after certification was solo. I went back up with my instructor and his next class to a local lake, and I ended up swimming away from the platform and did some exploring. I never went below 40 feet on either dive. To this day I won't solo below 50 without some form of redundancy...even then the vis gets so bad below that depth around here it isnt even worth it.
    Get Wet,
    Eric

Hi Scottyd!

I have only done one dive in the ocean solo and that was because my buddy had an equipment problem at the surface and I was waiting for him below. I won't dive solo again unless I have my pony and a backup mask with me.

Wanna make some day trips to Wilmington this summer? I might be able to do a few here and there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information