Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlborough Sound - NZ

Picxie, thanks for the info! Those are great sites! Do you dive with a 5mm or a 7mm suit? Gonna try to book my tickets this week to NZ!

I dive 7mm, definately! But I do feel the cold and I know of others who are comfortable in a 5mm. But if you are here beginning of December then that is only just the start of summer and things won't have warmed up yet. If you were coming in say Feb I'd say you could chance it with a 5mm as Feb/March are the warmest months (I'm still in a 7mm though!). The dive shops will hire one though if you only have a thinner suit - save you buying one for the trip.

What airline are you flying in with? If you are flying Air NZ make sure to mention that you are going on a diving (sporting) holiday and they'll give you an extra 10kg baggage allowance - will up it from 20kg to 30kg. Makes a huge difference although they do allow up to 23kg with no cost (or so I was told a week or so ago when I checked in on a domestic flight).

Again, great tip! Air Niugini gives additional allowance for scuba divers as well, but most of the time, their scales don't work (neither do their planes). I am flying Air NZ and Qantas...do you think Qantas will give me a similar allowance? I'll have to do some research.

I'm really close to booking those tickets, but I haven't heard back from my travel agent (I don't usually use an agent, but this trip is part of a continuing trip for me)

It almost sounds like I have to take a dry suit class!

Quantas might, no harm in asking. When I flew Air Pacific recently the website said 20kg but we talked them into giving us 30kg because of the dive gear (or at least, our travel agent did!). So definately ask for it!

Shark
    Chuck, any update on your trip?....last time I talked to you....you were in Cairns Holiday Inn....getting ready for the Spirit of Freedom trip....give us an update.

Quote Originally Posted by picxie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacat46 View Post
    Good on ya. Thank you for the info. This will be my 4th trip to NZ and of all the countries I've ever visited NZ is my fav. I learned to dive in the Bay of Islands at Paihia Dive. Got my OW and AOW there. I've dived the Rainbow Warrior twice. Also have done the Poor Knights with Tutukaka Dive. Thats about the extent of my NZ diving.
    Very cool! My last dives were up with Paihia Dive on the Rainbow Warrior. She's a beautiful wreck, isn't she? I've done Poor Knights with Tutukaka Dive and they were a very professional outfit. However I then went on to do the Poor Knights with a private charter and they took us to some of the more out of the way spots which were even better.

But I've done a 3 day kayak trip in Doubtful Sound. I've been up and down the North and South Island as well as Stewart Island and Great Barrier Island. I've done all of the great walks as well as a few other tramps. I've spent nearly 35 weeks traveling around NZ over my last 3 visits. I've drank many Kilkenny in Wellington bars till very early in the morning. I've probably even been to your home town. I've hiked on White Island and hope to dive there some day as well. I like Whakatane but then again I've liked just about everywhere I've been in NZ.
    Wow! You've done more than me!! I have been to Doubtful Sounds & Stewart Island, many many years ago, but not yet to Great Barrier. It is on my list of places to go this summer as it's somewhere I have not yet dived. There are supposed to be a few dive spots up in that area so I was going to make a long weekend of it.

White Island is great!! You should definately do it if you get the chance. It is my favourite spot.

Kiwis are the friendliest folks I've met the Ozzies aren't bad but the Kiwis are the best.
    Too right we are!! And I'm glad you know the difference between NZ and Australia!! Go Kiwi's!!

Maybe I'll dive Napier next trip. I've been there twice but that was before I dove.
    Hmmm ... was that just a passing comment or did you somehow know that I am from Napier?? Local diving isn't my favourite but it is do-able. I wouldn't make a special trip though - if you are going to go somewhere specifically, definately make it White Island!!

I hope you enjoy your trip!!

That's more than enough slinging off at the Aussies thank you!!! We're just as friendly as our eastern cousins! Maybe Chinacat just hasn't met the good aussies?
    It's all good!

Picxie, I'm booked! POM to AKL from Dec 5-13th. So that'll give me enough time to drive up north and see the Rainbow Warrior/Poor Knights. Ok, water in PNG was 25 degrees Celsius yesterday and super cold for us tropical divers....heeheheh, I bet I need a 7mm there for the Kiwi waters!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information