Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: St.John

Shark
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud View Post
    I read somewhere that Maho is having financial trouble.
    Well unfortunately the lease the Maho Bay property is on is up in another two years and the land owners want to sell the land for development. The lot is going for a rumored 30 million dollars and the Maho Foundation that runs the resort does not have that kind of money so it does not look good for Maho.
    That said they have been developing their Concordia Estates property and to be honest the wife and I liked it better. Its further out of town requiring a rental car, and the salt pond beach is a whole five minutes further waya from the "resort". That said Concordia has a fresh water pool, charter services a restaurant and store (same as Maho) but the accommodations are a huge step up from Maho Bay. You have your won Solar Shower/bathroom a full kitchenette with refrigerator, a porch with a vew in every cabin overlooking Rams Head point Nanny, Drunk and Salt Pond Bay's as well as the BVI's. A short Drive away are a few restaurants one with a great Jazz brunch on the weekends.
    So where Maho may go the way of the upper crust McMansions the Maho ideal and feel is still alive and well.

Eco-villas with Salt pond Bay/Beach and Rams Head Point

Eco-villa with the BVI's in the background and the tip of Nanny Point!
    Last edited by Rileybri; 10-04-2008 at 10:39.

TadPole
    Maho's lease is up in 2012, so the future of Maho is uncertain. Here's more information. I just hope it doesnt loose it's roots and history by becoming another Peter Bay.

Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info

Shark
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nannerz View Post
    Maho's lease is up in 2012, so the future of Maho is uncertain. Here's more information. I just hope it doesnt loose it's roots and history by becoming another Peter Bay.

Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands Newspaper, A Pulitzer Prize Winning Newspaper, Virgin Islands Guide, Virgin Islands Info
    Ya its a bummer and they may hand over the land for development early in a land deal to keep there Concordia operation going and growing. IMHO I like the Concordia side better any how. Its still sad to see such an amazing place ruined by greed. maybe this current financial crisis will halt the speculation development that is inevitable on the north side of the island. Any way you slice it STJ is an amazing place!

Grouper
    I've watched the development on St. John over the last ten or twelve years...it's very disappointing to see these hideous structures springing up and diminishing the beauty of the island.

Shark
    Images
    Agreed... You don't hear about St. John as much as the other "Saints" ..
    Lets keep it that way.. shhhhh

Shark
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud View Post
    Agreed... You don't hear about St. John as much as the other "Saints" ..
    Lets keep it that way.. shhhhh

Just booked five nights on you know where!!!! STJ Inn this time around......STOKED

Grouper Founding Member
    Got married on STJ (Reef Bay) in '02. Last trip was 7/07, including some diving with Down Under Watersports (Bill & Cindy were great). We prefer to rent a villa ourselves. We love St. John!

Guppy
    Images
    Havn't been thee since 1967. Not to sure I'd like the changes. Can you still camp in the National Park? we stayed in a platform tent right on the beach.
    I'm not a senior citizen -- I'm just a recycled teen-ager

Shark
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldive View Post
    Havn't been thee since 1967. Not to sure I'd like the changes. Can you still camp in the National Park? we stayed in a platform tent right on the beach.

Yes you can still camp at Cinnamon Bay or in my experience just sleep on the beach! The South side of the Islands is more mpre undeveloped than the north.

Grouper
    Cinnamon Bay isn't as well-maintained as it used to be, but it's still a fantastic location. They have bare-site camping and platform tents, as well as furnished "cottages" made of cement and screened windows.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information