Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gloves or no gloves that is the question.

Gloves or no gloves that is the question.

I dive without gloves as a personal preference, even in cold water. Like this weekend the bottom was in the low fortys and I still didn't feel like I needed gloves. I get the feeling this is an odity. What is the general concesus on the need for gloves while diving?
    If you aren't here, your somewhere else.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I like gloves. Saves the hands after spending time in the water.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Low forties with no gloves? Could you use your hands at the end of the dive?

I just about always have atleast one glove on. COmes in handy for picking up trash or pushing jellyfish away.

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFood View Post

I just about always have atleast one glove on.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Grouper
    Images
    I use gloves inspring and fall....but not the summer.
    Usually when surface temp reaches 70 degrees the gloves are gone.

I have never dived without gloves. Never. I know gloves are taboo some places.

My open water instructor insisted we all wear gloves (not for warmth but protection) and I do to this day. Besides, never know when there is a bug around to grab. Also, I am always pickling up trash.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Grouper
    I'm here to a test to the fact that bill1979. Is one tough guy. We were in 42 degree water for about 30 minutes (the whole time wasn't 42) and he hung in there with no gloves. I still think he needs to dive with glove (lite one) just one time before completely turns them down.

:-) it was good diving with ya today.

Low forties with no gloves? Could you use your hands at the end of the dive?

I just about always have atleast one glove on. COmes in handy for picking up trash or pushing jellyfish away.
    The hardest part is when you are in the cold areas below the thermocline. Other than that its not that bad. I havn't been in salt water yet so I am a little aprehensive about the jellies. How bad are the jellies in Florida right now?
    If you aren't here, your somewhere else.

Nothing extraordinary here on the east coast. In fact now that you mentioned it, I haven't heard much about sea lice either.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post

I just about always have atleast one glove on.

good one

and i agree.. low 40's with no gloves?? wow! i thought i was warm blooded!! but my hands actually hurt the one time i was in 57F without gloves.

in warm water, even tho i dont need them for warmth, if they're allowed (some marine parks ban any type of glove to discourage any type of touching) i like to wear gloves because i dont like to touch the icky descent rope or to push the remora that's trying to attach to my BC away.. ugh.
    Karen - I may not know what I'm doing, but by god I'm having fun doing it!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information