Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: never thought about Africa

Guppy
    Images
    There is some incredible diving in South Africa, and apart from the flights which are still very expensive once you are there you can have an incredible vacation for very little money.

I am from SA so I can recommend a few places.

Sodwana Bay is one of SA's top dive sites, it is on the East coast near the border with Mozambique. Depending on what sort of accomodation you want you can easily get 1 week accommodation, 3 dives a day and all meals included from anything from $300 to $1000. The $300 would be spending the nights in tents, but those that dont want to rough it could rent a wooden cottage or even a 4 room house for $1000 or less. As for the diving Sodwana is incredible, it is normally quite busy though as its one of SA's top sites.

Further down the coast is Aliwal Shoal, again there is a range of accomodations here but again $500 or so should be more than enough for a weeks accommodation and at least 2 dives a day. The diving at Aliwal is incredible, some great wrecks (The Produce is still one of my fave dives) and depending on the time of year some awesome shark encounters. The ragged tooth sharks are there en mass around June/July each year for breeding.
    Another great site in the area is Protea Banks, for advamced divers only as it is deep and there are lots of sharks around (tigers, zambezis and if you lucky a great white)

So give SA a consideration, you can fall into the tourist traps which cost a fortune, or do it with a little less luxury for a great price. You will get to meet some great people and will leave with wonderful memories.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I can put you into contact with charters/dive shops/resorts there

Shark
    Scubaculture what will I see in Sodwana Bay?

I'm a warm water diver 82+. Do they have those temps there? If so what will I see during that season?

Thx for any info...

Guppy
    Images
    Wow sorry it took me so long to reply!

Depending on the time of year you go you will see Ragged Tooth Sharks (sand tigers), the big fat pregnant females tend to be in the area around November. Year round you will see tons of tropical fish, manta rays, moray eels, potato bass and on and on. You should also see dolphins as well as a variety of whales.

The water temps are usually in the high 70's low 80's. You will be more than comfortable in a 3mm suit.

TadPole
    Sodwana and Aliwal are on my "places to dive" list!!!

THE Supreme Master Spammer Founding Member
    Go over to Spearboard.com. PM Tony (Spearmax). He walked the length of the continent following in the footseps of his Great Grandfather. Bet he would be happy to talk with you.
    Tim "The Star and Crescent shall not be worn by every man, but only by him who is worthy to wear it. He must be a gentleman... a man of honor and courage... a man of zeal, yet humble... an intelligent man...a man of truth... one who tempers action with wisdom and, above all else, one who walks in the light of God."

Grouper
    Don't forget about the huge inland lakes.
    Malawi is supposed to be good diving as well.
    Less chances of and encounter with a Great White too.........LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information