Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: never thought about Africa

Grouper
    Images

never thought about Africa

but i was skimming thru my Ocean book last nite (Amazon.com: Ocean: Robert Dinwiddie, Louise Thomas, Fabien Cousteau: Books) and in the section on reefs, it showed some beautiful shots off the coast of South Africa.

i thought all that was over in Africa was giraffes and lions
    Karen - I may not know what I'm doing, but by god I'm having fun doing it!

Grouper
    my father just got back from a vacation to S. Africa he loved it. I wish I could go myself someday.

Guppy
    Images

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robjoubert View Post

wow!! not at those temperatures!! ha!! 10mm is recommended?? i have trouble being convinced into my 3mm. looking at a globe (finally) it makes sense that the water would be cooler but again, haha... i'm thinking Africa and hot.

i think i will just keep reading my book and drooling over the pictures instead thanks for the link tho. interesting to think about.
    Karen - I may not know what I'm doing, but by god I'm having fun doing it!

Guppy
    Here's some diving off the African coast that sounds interesting ... anyone know anything about it???

The Kairos Company

On second thought, after checking out their rates ... ehh, maybe not.
    Last edited by highdesert; 06-20-2008 at 14:16.
    Born to Travel ...

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    I was in S. Africa around Kwazulu Natal, several years ago, although not to dive. We had an opportunity to go to Cape Vidal and Sodwana Bay. The beaches in that area were amazing. A lot of people recommended Sodwana bay for diving. Plus its not every day that you can see penguins, baboons, monkeys, zebras, hippo AND some great coral reefs, all by just walking from your car to the beach. And remember, don't feed the animals. Really.

Shark
    I'm suprised that more people aren't aware that east Africa is a great dive location... so long as the region is relatively stable. I had some beautiful dives in Kenya, and I understand that there's a lot of excellent diving in Tanzania also, especially around Zanzibar.
    Matt Silvia

Grouper
    I think of Africa as being so poor, but every time I look up any type of travel there it is unbelievably expensive. Why is that? You would think that the dollar would go forever like it does in Central America, but safaris and dives cost an arm and a leg.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor." - Mark Twain

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey9123 View Post
    I think of Africa as being so poor, but every time I look up any type of travel there it is unbelievably expensive. Why is that? You would think that the dollar would go forever like it does in Central America, but safaris and dives cost an arm and a leg.
    There are very few people in Africa that do very much traveling, the lower demand means companies charge more to offset their expenses and create a profit margin. Safaris and dives are also almost strictly for tourists and marketed accordingly.

Shark
    It doesn't have to be expensive at all, but the places that charge the most have the most resources available for reaching out to foriegn tourists.

Just as an example, my wife and I had a private safari tour for 3 days that included meals, lodging, private transportation in a pop-top 4x4 van with a snorkle, access fees to two game reserves (Tsavo West and Ambosili), a guide, a trip to a Masaai camp, a hired mercenary for protection during our transit through a less-than-reputable stretch of country, and a stay at a wonderful 5 star resort for the night preceeding and following our tour. It only cost $1200 for the two of us, which is a real bargain in my book.

You just have to hunt around for the good deals.
    Matt Silvia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information