Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Overweight Divers

Grouper
    Images
    When I was 24 I remember thinking that I would never get a gut like that. Well low and behold--I turned forty and my metabolisms changed. I no longer can eat what ever I want when ever I want. I even drink lite beer now!--not that it seems to help---. I struggle with my weight. You to will wake up one day and find that--hmm my closet seems to be shrinking everything?
    As for the dick do disease----ahh--this is a family form--

Grouper
    time catches up to all of us, an overweight person cannot necessarily go mountain biking up a steel hill, or climb everest, but with the proper training, can effectively recreational dive. I have seen 300+ pounders dive, they did great, just needed a bigger weight belt, never seen a 3-- pounder climb everest. Like one mentioned ealier, fat people like cool underwater fish as well. Hey whales are good divers?

Grouper
    America is an obese society just go into your local Wal Mart and take a look at the folks (im not just picking on WalMart) then go into a Wal Mart in an area were body image takes a higher precidence like in South FLA or S California and it's my guess you will se a lower precentage of obese people. I am not a picture of fitness I carry around about 10 pounds of extra weight but I am at a point were running and biking is not a possibility I have begun losing the weight simply by pushing my self away from the table sooner and not sitting in front of the dead brain box every evening.
    Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!!!
    Future Olympian for the country of Turdistan!!!

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrider003 View Post
    I am what most people would consider overweight, and definitely have somewhat of a gut. Not long ago I was in recruit school for the fire department and could run 11 miles, every step in Jordan Hare stadium (Auburn Universities Football Stadium) and al kinds of other thing. Our pt instructor was a former NAVY SEAL drill sergeant and I could run and keep up with the best of em. With that said, even though I have a gut and would appear to be fat and overweight, it doesn't mean that you are not in shape,afterall... round is a shape, and that you can't handle some of the more physically demanding dives out there.

So your just Husky....
    Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time!!!
    Future Olympian for the country of Turdistan!!!

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzF117 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrider003 View Post
    I am what most people would consider overweight, and definitely have somewhat of a gut. Not long ago I was in recruit school for the fire department and could run 11 miles, every step in Jordan Hare stadium (Auburn Universities Football Stadium) and al kinds of other thing. Our pt instructor was a former NAVY SEAL drill sergeant and I could run and keep up with the best of em. With that said, even though I have a gut and would appear to be fat and overweight, it doesn't mean that you are not in shape,afterall... round is a shape, and that you can't handle some of the more physically demanding dives out there.

So your just Husky....
    Husky a bad word, my brother used to wear "Husky" brand jeans as a child, looking back, t hat is not the best name, why not just name them "Fat Pants" or maybe phat pants to sound cooler

Grouper
    Images
    For me it has both to do with ageing and activity level.
    At 30 I went through a obvious metobolic change. Until then I could eat without thought of gaining weight. After the change I had to make adjustments to change my diet and cut out a lot of sugar and carbs.
    As I aged futher my activity levels changed not being as involved with sports, having to work more, drive more instead of bicycle ect.
    The effects seem to become slow and cummulative unless you can make a change to increase the activity level drastically.
    Opinions are like gas... We're all entitled to some but people appreciate you keeping it to yourself if it stinks!

Guppy
    Are there more heavy set people doing other activities? Probably not.

You just notice it more in either skin tight wetsuits or when they are wearing their speedos! They aren't bothering anyone, so what does it matter? And if it is something that you don't want to see, maybe you should be the one avoiding the sport.

Here's to fat people everywhere! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by freeski4ever View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanh1801 View Post
    Weight does not always mean not fit. Im what most doctors would consider over weight, But I do triathlons and many other physically demanding things, and beat a lot of "skinny in shape people". What worrys me is the guy sucking down a pack of cig's before a dive.
    I hear you on that one!! I used to smoke when I was in the Army, but fortunately, I was able to kick the nasty habit. Now I can't stand the smell of cigarettes smoke, or being around other smokers for an extended period of time. I can't understand how I used to ski and smoke, or how divers who smoke must feel while physically exerting themselves underwater.
    Not to mention how hard it is to light a wet cigarette with a reg in your mouth...

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    When I was 24 I remember thinking that I would never get a gut like that. Well low and behold--I turned forty and my metabolisms changed. I no longer can eat what ever I want when ever I want. I even drink lite beer now!--not that it seems to help---. I struggle with my weight. You to will wake up one day and find that--hmm my closet seems to be shrinking everything?
    As for the dick do disease----ahh--this is a family form--
    From 16 to about 37 my weight didnt change at all save the odd Kg up or down. Not a big drinker and I think that certainly helped looking at my beer drinking friends anyway. In the past year or so my weight has gone up a whopping 6-7 kgs, I was small to begin with so the xtra weight actually makes me look a little healthier although at 6-7 kgs every year or so Im gonna be huge...time to watch the chocolate and move more What I dont like is the sticky out stomach, I think nothing makes men look their age more than a "beer gut". People in good physical condition generally look younger and healthier than their age, not always but often.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information