Thread: Horse Collar anyone?

TadPole

Horse Collar anyone?

I wanted to here from anybody that dives a horse collar BC. One guy I know uses it as a travel BC. I got a deal on a NOS US Divers 702 from 1979--looks like unused millitary surplus.

Whats the downside to using one of these? Any tips?

Thanks

Megalodon
    Images
    The upside: They are very good at floating you face up if you are unconscious on the surface. If you want to wear a weight belt instead of intergal weights, they are great. If you are very close to neutral they work well.

The downside: They don't really have that much lift, usually 20-25 Lbs (10-12 kg) so they don't work well if you have a lot of weight. They have a tendancy to try to flip you on your back or keep you upright-bad if you like being level/horizontal.

You also need either a back plate for your tank or a back pack for your tank. If you need one, PM me , I know I have at least one.

A power inflator is still your friend with these. They are easy to put on and off. In class we had to take these off in the water too. (1974, that's all that was really available.)

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    I use a horse collar on ocasions. Stay away from the US Divers BC of that age, most have bad bladders. Look for a Sea Tec.

Grouper
    I must concur with the Captain, I had an old 1976 US Divers BC, using it as a snorkle vest for the wife. Last summer the bladder literally fell apart.
    In its day it did the job nicely for me, but I much prefer not having a seperate tank harness and weights that the newer BCD's incorporate.

All i can say is be careful
    People who look good with a mask on are usually ugly without one.

TadPole
    I still use my old US Divers Horse collar. I have had it since about 1985 and I just ordered and bought a new bladder for it from my LDS. It was fairly inexpensive and now my HC is just like new again. I love diving it, but only in warmer waters because it doesn't fit me when I am in my 7mm suit with hood. It chokes me. With a 3mm suit or just a T-shirt and shorts, it is awesome! It gives you so much freedom. I wear a plastic pack with straps for the tank and the good old weight belt. It is a rig that I have dove with probably 300 times. It is tried and true. I like the fact that you keep the HC on all the time. You can dump your tank and weight belt on the boat or the shore but the HC can stay on for all day of diving. I like that it keeps you face up on the surface when partially or fully inflated. I freak out new divers, though. They just look at me in horror and say, "Really?" I say, "Yes...really." It is so much fun!

Barracuda
    Images
    I concur with Navy on using a horsecollar. I've never dove with one that had a power inflator, mine were filled with a CO2 cartridge ( instantly full) so we were always heavy on the wieghts at the beginning of a dive as there was no way to partially inflate the vest. I stopped diving many yeaars ago before BCD's and then came back in 2006, I was amazed and really happy with a BCD. no way would I go back to a horsecollar.

Thread Information