Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ningaloo Reef

TadPole

Ningaloo Reef

We are going to Perth, Australia at the end of March. We would like to dive the GBR before we go to our other event in Perth, but some say we will have a difficult time getting from one coast to the other without wasting several days on travel. The other option is to dive Ningaloo which is near Perth. Has anybody been there? Should we do some more digging into finding a way to the GBR or is Ningaloo just as good?

You're in luck! The GBR is world famous but many Australian divers believe Ningaloo Reef is superior or at least on par.

I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I know experienced divers who have dived at both reefs and they give Ningaloo the thumbs up - it is world class diving with an understated reputation.

Don't waste your time trying to get to the GBR (from Perth it is a looong way away) stick with Ningaloo, you'll be more than satisfied.
    Last edited by Fox; 08-07-2007 at 20:54.

Grouper Founding Member
    Ningaloo is a great dive and there is alot to see in WA

Ill leave some links for you

http://www.exmouthwa.com.au/afrontpage.asp

http://www.exmouth.wa.gov.au/tourism.../ningaloo.html

Hope this helps you

Krakenn
    If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room

Ooooh lucky, you will be there at the right time to see the Whale Sharks (I think?).

I had the opposite problem. I quite often go over to visit friends on the Gold Coast and we wanted to go over to Ningaloo however it was going to be a mission to get there. So we put it off (still on the list of things to do one day though).

Grouper Founding Member
    The other thing I forgot to mention was what do you call 'Near to Perth'
    I guess in a world wide persective 1000 kilometers is close. For an airflight it is also 'close'

Kraks

TadPole
    I was at Ningaloo in June and had an awesome time. Just snorkelling is a blast there. Snorkelling with Mantas at Shark Bay probably the highlight. If you're there are the right time snorkeling with the Whale Sharks is a must but otherwise the diving is generally good all year round. Note summe is v.f hot! (Nov - Feb) so pack the sunblock. The old Navy Pier is now open again too. I missed this but on what I was told I'm going back.

There are a number of different dive shop/operators there most are ok but the gear is quite tired. There was a new operator called Dive Now that had great new gear and were really well organised (Please note I have no alliliation & got no kick backs for this).

I've dived the GBR as well but Ningaloo was far more pristine.

TadPole
    Thanks for all the information. I think we will try Ningaloo since we will be on the same coast for another event anyway.

TadPole
    I'm probably a bit late on this thread (only just joined the forum)... but we do a trip up to Coral Bay every year. The lady that taught me to dive has dived in most countries around the world and said that Ningaloo is truely unique. It is one of the few places in the world that you can swim 20m from the beach and see coral (unlike the 2hr boat ride for the GBR).

A few tips though...
    - Book accommodation well in advance if you will be visiting around school holidays - the back packers in Coral Bay is one of the best in WA.
    - Coral Bay and Exmouth are a long way from Perth. We drive there and it takes us 13 hours.
    - If you catch the plane from Perth to Exmouth (Learmonth) note that the Airport is a long way out of town - you'll need a hire car @ the airport or some means of getting to Exmouth.
    - You MUST dive the Navy Pier in Exmouth... if you only do 1 dive your whole time there the Navy Pier is a MUST. NINGALOO DREAMING
    - There is little else to do up there except snorkel, dive, fish & 4WD... so don't expect raging night life and oodles of cafes/restaurants.

Grouper Founding Member
    Hi guys, I have been gone for a while, its good to be back.

Ningaloo is a great dive for sure. But if you ever get a chance one of the places you have to dive is the Rowley Shoals off of Broome Western Australia.

Shark
    Krakenn...what is the warmest the waters get in your area? What time of the year is that? also best vis?....I've heard the diving at the Navy Pier at Exmouth is up there with Palau is that true?
    Last edited by Travelnsj; 09-10-2008 at 01:22.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information