Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Normoxic Trimix

Grouper Founding Member

Normoxic Trimix

Anyone here certified and dive Trimix (Normoxic)? Which agency did you go through and how long did it take to get to that level from basic Nitrox/AOW training?

Shark Founding Member
    Hi...... I am TDI Advanced Trimix certified.....being certed to dive hypoxic mixes. I persl. chose TDI for several reasons.....I found that their course materials and cert. progression flow were just great for my needs and time frame. Also I selected an instructor with tons of real-world tech experience and one that I could work with and that 'we' both got along together well. There are several good tech agencies out there.....interview the instructors for several....look at the materials.....see what is expected from your instructor. My courses were not the least expensive nor the highest.....I had to do allot of traveling to and from classroom sections and also the various dive sites. There is really no time frame one can suggest for progression ..... most indv. will vary based on the amount of time committed to the process......it's not a race. I took time at each progressive level while getting in the dives at that cert. level prior to moving ahead....and that was with the ok of my instructor. Trimix is a wonderful gas for those certain dives. I could go on and on with writing about this but just take your time......do your homework and have fun! Let me know if you have anything I could be more specf. on and if I can I will.

PS.... I highly recommend any diver involved in tech diving be it entry or advanced level to secure a good Rescue diver program prior to starting the other training.
    PADI Divemaster, TDI Advanced Trimix

Shark
    I got certified for recreational trimix through IANTD, because the class seemed a good fit for the diving I wanted to be able to do, and because there was an instructor reasonably near by who offered me a great price on the class.
    Matt Silvia

Grouper
    TDI Trimix here.

It would actually not take many dives to go from nitrox to trimix (in theory)
    The Advanced Nitrox/deco course is 6 dives minimum and the normoxic Trimix course is 4 dives. (Minimum 100 dives needed to do the course)

So you could do it in only 10 dives but probably not the smartest thing to do. Having loads of experience would be useful for the day things go sideways and the surface is an hour away.

Why do you want to do Trimix? You will probably spend $5-10,000 on gear,training and gas before getting the Trimix card .

Shark Founding Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ianr33 View Post

It would actually not take many dives to go from nitrox to trimix (in theory)
    The Advanced Nitrox/deco course is 6 dives minimum and the normoxic Trimix course is 4 dives. (Minimum 100 dives needed to do the course)

So you could do it in only 10 dives but probably not the smartest thing to do. Having loads of experience would be useful for the day things go sideways and the surface is an hour away.
    I have found this same opt. road going from O/W to Full Cave in about 10 days.....just no sense in my thinking.

Taking it in steps and securing the experience between levels is the only good way.

I think one can secure the training and gear for 'some' less than 5K, but regardless the fact is it generally does cost some $$$ and should involve some serious time investment.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by texdiveguy View Post
    I think one can secure the training and gear for 'some' less than 5K, but regardless the fact is it generally does cost some $$$ and should involve some serious time investment.
    Dont see how you could do it for under 5k unless you are renting the gear which is not exactly optimal.

This would be a lowball list that an AOW diver would be looking at to get into Trimix:

Advanced Nitrox/Deco course $600
    Normoxic Trimix course $700
    3 DIN Regs $1000
    Din conversion to existing reg $50 (Total 4 regs,2 backgas,2 stages)
    Al doubles (new) or used steel $600
    2 stage tanks $300
    Breathing gas for courses $300 ??
    BP/Wings $500
    Can Light $500
    Backup Bottom Timer $200

Thats up to $4750 already. Add in driving gas,entry/boat fees and it would hit $5k Can easily go MUCH higher as I am sure you are well aware! (Drysuit,flights to Cayman, $1500 Trimix computers,scooters. It never stops !!)

Most every AOW diver will need to replace pretty much all their gear.

Banned
    $5000 seems WAY CHEAP to me, too. Very, very easily 2-3x that amount for many. There's also the cost of building the experience from AOW needed to do these dives.

Shark Founding Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ianr33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by texdiveguy View Post
    Dont see how you could do it for under 5k unless you are renting the gear which is not exactly optimal.

This would be a lowball list that an AOW diver would be looking at to get into Trimix:

Advanced Nitrox/Deco course $600
    Normoxic Trimix course $700
    3 DIN Regs $1000
    Din conversion to existing reg $50 (Total 4 regs,2 backgas,2 stages)
    Al doubles (new) or used steel $600
    2 stage tanks $300
    Breathing gas for courses $300 ??
    BP/Wings $500
    Can Light $500
    Backup Bottom Timer $200

Thats up to $4750 already. Add in driving gas,entry/boat fees and it would hit $5k Can easily go MUCH higher as I am sure you are well aware! (Drysuit,flights to Cayman, $1500 Trimix computers,scooters. It never stops !!)

Most every AOW diver will need to replace pretty much all their gear.
    In my case as in others whom persue technical entry level trimix diving.....allot of the gear you reference is already in ones collection....was in mine..... and will be for many just 'getting' started in trimix. I simply mod recreational gear to do some of the the jobs ......course one could spend 10-20-30K on gear and gases and travel.....but it can be done in many locations for less......the idea that one is going to invest 5K min. to just get into trimix is not fully accurate. I like many divers I dive with do have thousands/$$ of dollars in gear, much dedicated to the technical side of the sport. But one should not be discouraged at first if they don't have certain pieces of optional gear.....or don't go to distant lands for dives or pay for the most expensive instructor training. Like many things one can and do a bit of shopping and searching to help make that all might buck go farther. One thing is certain is that for most of us it was and is not inexpensive to enter into and continue in technical level diving.....we all who do it will agree on that!
    Last edited by texdiveguy; 06-11-2008 at 18:03.

Banned
    I hear what you're saying Tex (though still can't imagine doing it for less than 5k, but that's beside the point).

That said, if you're pinching pennies, consider something else. This isn't a cheap hobby. And trying to be overly cheap could get you killed.

Shark Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
    I hear what you're saying Tex (though still can't imagine doing it for less than 5k, but that's beside the point).

That said, if you're pinching pennies, consider something else. This isn't a cheap hobby. And trying to be overly cheap could get you killed.
    I never said that......what I am saying is this magic figure of 5K gets talked around all the time.....it sounds impressive to non technical divers......but its not a concrete min. figure. I would not suggest to ANYONE that they crimp on any scuba gear, particulary technical....and I think I understand what I am talking about here!
    Last edited by texdiveguy; 06-11-2008 at 18:10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information