Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mares bought Sherwood?

Barracuda Founding Member
    I think this thread is how rumors get started. Don't even bring this crap up if you don't have a credible source. If there were any truth to it there would be someone somewhere with hard information. Now how many people will have read this thread and run off saying "I heard on a forum that..."?
    The water's more exciting.. with CHUM in it!

Shark
    I guess that's fair enough.

But, I was trying to confirm information, not maliciously spread a rumor.

To make amends, I've asked my broker to check up on it. He was supposed to call me today, but I haven't heard from him yet.

I know that Head (sporting goods) owns Mares and Dacor.

And, hopefully, we will know more after the trade show this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    I guess that's fair enough.

But, I was trying to confirm information, not maliciously spread a rumor.
    I'm sure that wasn't your intent but that's how it gets started. People only half-remember what they read or heard and then pass it along. If someone had any hard information they were wanting to share, would they really sit back and wait until someone like you asked?

To confirm such information, I'd have conducted various dive news and forum searches. That would be a major development in the scuba industry. I would think one of the dive news publications would have been the first to know and broadcast. Try DiveNews.Com or Divenewswire for example.

Grouper
    Don't blow a gasket. I think you could have relayed that same message with a little more tact. I can understand your frustration, but there's no need to talk down to another person.

Quote Originally Posted by reactive View Post
    Don't blow a gasket. I think you could have relayed that same message with a little more tact. I can understand your frustration, but there's no need to talk down to another person.
    OK, show me how you would have relayed the same message with a little more tact.

Ya know, we have to deal all the time with the LDS crowd mocking the internet as a source of misinformation, anyone can say anything on the internet, don't believe anything you hear on the internet, yada yada. And this is a perfect example, the very kind of thing that gives them more ammo.
    Last edited by ReefHound; 06-19-2008 at 09:18.

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefHound View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reactive View Post
    OK, show me how you would have relayed the same message with a little more tact.

Ya know, we have to deal all the time with the LDS crowd mocking the internet as a source of misinformation, anyone can say anything on the internet, don't believe anything you hear on the internet, yada yada. And this is a perfect example, the very kind of thing that gives them more ammo.

The secret of tact - is you must learn to take your personal attacks out of posts - and state them as your opinions. Example - If I respond and say "Reefhound - your response to a simple thread asking a question is rude and childish" you probably take offense.. then you post back that my nose is too big, then I post, and on and on.

So the problem with your post - which was going to have me pull it, but Largo seemed very cool with it - is the fact you use

"Don't even bring this crap up if you don't have a credible source."

He simply asked a question if anyone else had heard what he heard... and yes there was talk about that in some other magazines I had seen, although it seems untrue, at least at this time.

A more tactful approach would have been, "I always prefer to wait until I have 2 confirmed sources before I even comment or question these types of rumors since they are so often false, and just start internet snowballs of misinformation."

There.. no one gets insulted, and the same message gets across...

But my Mares Rep has heard the same rumor for several months now - so someone asking if there is any truth to it, I don't feel is "crap" - but a justified question.

And in this situation, it actually almost would make sense. Head's acquisition of Dacor did not go real smooth... and really Sherwood produces very little gear - most is rebranded Mares or Oceanic anyway, so would it make sense for them to try to purchase it, so they could use their excess manufacturing capability to produce all the sherwood gear since the factory is not running overtime for Dacor.. It would hold some financial sense...

But although I have heard the rumors floating around as well, I've heard no comments from sources in both companies that there is any truth to it... but who knows?!

So I don't feel the question was out of line - or deserving of attacking responses.
    Last edited by ScubaToys Larry; 06-19-2008 at 09:34.

If I could edit my posts, I'd remove that line you cited. Feel free to remove it for me.

Maybe rumors have been floating around precisely because of ... threads... like this? The problem is that many people only skim posts or glance at thread titles. They aren't going to remember the nuances or that it was a question about a wild eyed rumor, several months from now they are going to be saying "I heard on a forum that Mares bought Sherwood" while in a bunch of divers chatting. Oh well, if you want your board to get a rep for misleading and false info, that's your issue.

Actually, you should pull the entire thread as it serves no constructive purpose.

Shark
    Reefhound has a valid point. In retrospect, I should have done a little more research on the subject.

Still working on that one. The broker didn't know.

What is Sherwood's ticker symbol?

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Largo View Post
    Reefhound has a valid point. In retrospect, I should have done a little more research on the subject.

Still working on that one. The broker didn't know.

What is Sherwood's ticker symbol?
    I think the question was perfectly legit!
    I think someone is suffering from anxiety or depression!
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information