Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rs-130

TadPole

Rs-130

Howdy All,

Looking for some insight on the RS-130. I have seen a few posts here and there in reference to it but I was looking for more insight on this reg. The wife and I are getting ready to buy our own gear and this is the reg we are both looking at as we are trying to stay on a bit of a budget (incentive check ).

How well does it breathe for you?
    Has it been a durable reg?
    Any differences at depth?
    Any drawbacks that you have found?

Any help is much appreciated.

Scott

Barracuda Founding Member

TadPole
    Thanks for the link. This is looking like it will work out to be a nice reg. I did check it out on a visit to scubatoys and now I can see others are diving it with out problems.

I think in the long run you'll want a higher end reg... but nothing wrong with this one as a starter....

you can always use this one as a pony bottle reg later on. or sell if for use as that.

Grouper
    Not to self promote, but in the used catagorie I'm selling an almost brand new RS-230 a great reg, for $125....I understand wanting to buy a new reg though....I'm one of those guys!

Quote Originally Posted by LRDWILDER View Post
    Not to self promote, but in the used catagorie I'm selling an almost brand new RS-230 a great reg, for $125....I understand wanting to buy a new reg though....I'm one of those guys!

yeah..> I saw that and though it was a pretty decent price for that reg used.

TadPole
    Yep this being my first reg and not a lot of experience with what to look for on used equipment I tend to lean towards the new one. Doesn't always make the best sense but gives me a bit of peace.

I found more info as well since posting this. Seems I keep missing the similar threads jobby at the bottom of the page LOL.

Looks like I am gonna get a list of what I am looking at and get a quote from ST and my LDS, gotta give them a shot to be fair although ST is close enough to be my LDS, and get to owning some gear instead of renting.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDivers View Post
    Yep this being my first reg and not a lot of experience with what to look for on used equipment I tend to lean towards the new one. Doesn't always make the best sense but gives me a bit of peace.

one advantage of buying new is that you get the "free parts for life" with most regulator manufacturers.

For most manufacturers this means you have to have your reg serviced by an authorized dealer each year 30 days plus/minus from when you bought it the year before. this way they ensure your reg stayed serviced. otherwise that parts warranty is void and only faults in workmanship are covered. (TUSA is this way also.)

so on average this will save you about $50 bucks in parts a year. (You pay for shop labor for the rebuild).

Grouper
    I do agree with the above about warranty stuff, the problem is when you buy an entry level reg and then discover you really love the sport and want to do more diving and add a few things here or there you tend to wish you had put that money into something a little better or different. That was what I found when I went into tech...I had outfitted myself with great stuff for recreational diving but found that it wouldn't work for my needs the moment I got into tech and DM stuff. Used stuff definately has its merits with new divers......I'm not trying to push that reg on you either as I actually have an interested party

Also I have bought several items from ST, and have found them to be way more reliable than "most" LDS, and they gave us this great board to play on while at work

TadPole
    Well the wife and I actually went through with it and ended up buying our rs-130's and I love mine. Very easy to breath and I have found I do not open it all the way as it does breathe quite nice compared to the rental scubapro s555/mk11 that we have been use to. She loves the way it breathes as well, she just doesn't like the mouth piece. I think the scubapro has a different height on the lip area or was just sitting funky. Will put a seacure on it and see how that works. We had them down only to 50ft at this point and the water wasn't super cold maybe 70's but will be hitting it again this Sunday for more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information