Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planet Fitness?

Grouper

Planet Fitness?

Does anyone belong to a Planet Fitness gym? How do you like it? The price is unbelieveable, but I worry there are reasons for that...

Guppy
    I joined a new Planet Fitness location here in the Baltimore area about a year ago.

I agree....$10/mo. makes you wonder if there's some kind of catch.

My place gets pretty busy on weekdays at about 5:00 til 6:00, but even then there's always equipment available....no waiting.

They keep the equipment in good order, maintain the locker rooms well. Also, they emphasize cleaning the equipment after each use. Members are very good about wiping down the machines after each use.

I don't know how they do it for $10 per month, but I'm enjoying it.

Ron

Grouper
    Thanks, Ron...so it all seems pretty clean?

Guppy
    My PF location is very clean.

They have paper towel dispensers located about every 12-15 feet with spray bottles of a light citrus solution. It is amazing how virtually every user grabs a paper towel, sprays it and wipes off each piece of equipment after he finishes with it.

I don't know if they're all so good, but mine definitely is.

Also, as you may know, their target market is not the intense body-builder type. Their main users are probably newer, older, less-serious fitness folks...I fit right in. In fact, they have strict rules to discourage the heavy-duty body builders: no grunting, no large water bottles, no noisy dropping of weights, etc.

Ron

TadPole
    Holy hell... I appreciate you all posting about this place. Apparently, one just opened up by me, only one in my city. I think I am going to go for the $10/month plan. Something like $39 down, $10/month and $20/yr on top of that. No other place compares, although you do have to sign a 12 month commitment. I'll be heading over to check them out tomorrow.

As said before, I'm not sure how they do it for $10/month. I guess they are trying to develop a customer base and maybe raise the prices later on. There is that clause in the contract, I did notice. Maybe they could grandfather old members in if rates increase. One can only hope.
    Last edited by BucJeeper; 08-23-2008 at 23:35.

Grouper
    How'd it work out, Buc?

Grouper

Wish there was one here in TN

It seems like a place my wife would go. I stay away from those places. It's a shame there isnt one locally.
    Last edited by tndiverdude; 08-31-2008 at 16:13.

TadPole
    I ended up not getting the chance to stop by prior to the end date of the $10/mo promotion as I was out of town. As of now, they only have the $19.99/mo PF Black Card membership, which is still a decent deal, but I will wait to see if they reinstitute the $10 plan.

I sent them an email to see if they still have the $10 plan or if they may offer it again in the future.
    Last edited by BucJeeper; 09-01-2008 at 10:23.

TadPole
    Hey folks. An update... I waited and, sure enough, they reinstituted the $10/month plan. It is a pretty basic gym, but do you really need all the bells and whistles?

Grouper
    Wow not bad. Closest one to me is about 15 miles. $10/month, with a $40 start-up fee, and a $58 cancel fee. Still, even the local YMCA is $40/month.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information