Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diving with fibroids?

Grouper
    New Market Tennessee on 30 acres of wild fruit and nut trees

I have them

last year I wa stold i have mes sof them, tiny ones but theer none teh less. I too ahve bleeding that looks like someone got stabbed.

here is what I do, and you amy want to pass it along.
    Tylenol for some strange reason slows flow. We dont know why but it does. She can try it and see if it helps.
    also eating anything high in Vitamin K will help.I eat eggs and take a Vitamin K when i go heavy.
    embolisms are in a different part of teh body. She may feel woozy from loss of blood ..so limit the dive.
    teh only thing that we worry about is passing very large clots that go beyond the tampon by pushing it out. so i wear an exatr pair of absorbing cotton underwear under my bathing suit to help in case of breakthrough. I also take a change of clothes with me.

We try to get the cramps and bleeding under control and time when we go. So pin point the heaviest days and go from there. if she is like me with continual cramps then keeping those in check with a good antispasmodic will help too

oh and if she has her own gear and it gets messy, use prell shampoo in a bathub of cool water...... it gets the blood out.......

j

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmysdevoted View Post
    last year I wa stold i have mes sof them, tiny ones but theer none teh less. I too ahve bleeding that looks like someone got stabbed.

here is what I do, and you amy want to pass it along.
    Tylenol for some strange reason slows flow. We dont know why but it does. She can try it and see if it helps.
    also eating anything high in Vitamin K will help.I eat eggs and take a Vitamin K when i go heavy.
    embolisms are in a different part of teh body. She may feel woozy from loss of blood ..so limit the dive.
    teh only thing that we worry about is passing very large clots that go beyond the tampon by pushing it out. so i wear an exatr pair of absorbing cotton underwear under my bathing suit to help in case of breakthrough. I also take a change of clothes with me.

We try to get the cramps and bleeding under control and time when we go. So pin point the heaviest days and go from there. if she is like me with continual cramps then keeping those in check with a good antispasmodic will help too

oh and if she has her own gear and it gets messy, use prell shampoo in a bathub of cool water...... it gets the blood out.......

j
    I don't know why Tylenol would slow the flow but a non-steroidal i.e. Motrin or Alleve taken around the clock starting 48 hours prior to the onset of menses has been proven to reduce total blood loss about 20%. There is no reason you cannot use both.

Grouper

blood thinner activations

I think for some its the blood thnning and ability to have platelets and RBCs slid easier with aspirin than tylenol.
    All I know is my doctor told me to try it and it worked...

I also use garlic chips to stop the flow when I have had enough heavy bleeding............
    garlic acts like progesterone and elevates teh progesteroine level to halt the flow.. too much garlic no period.. which I ahve done on many avaction trip and restart with green onion omlets when i got back.......

Grouper
    I think for some its the blood thnning and ability to have platelets and RBCs slid easier with aspirin than tylenol.
    All I know is my doctor told me to try it and it worked...

I also use garlic chips to stop the flow when I have had enough heavy bleeding............
    garlic acts like progesterone and elevates teh progesteroine level to halt the flow.. too much garlic no period.. which I ahve done on many avaction trip and restart with green onion omlets when i got back.......
    Though there is a blood thinning component with Aspirin it is not enough to change the flow and Aleve and Motrin decrease the flow not increase it though they do have a "slight" thinning effect it really is not significant nor noticible. The drugs of choice in the current literature and the current recommendations of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology is an NSAID (Ibuprofen, Naprosyn, Ketoprofen) to decrease pain and decrease flow. No literature has shown Tylenol to decrease flow.

Grouper

maybe not in print

not everyone metabolizes everything the same way.. i know in me Tylenol slows flow and if i take aleve i bleed like a stuck pig.......
    but thast me,, thast why i prefaced the suggestion..... FOR ME it works..
    no one knows why but it does...
    then again no one knows why my X chromosome shortens one leg and changes..... and that is in every woman in my family on my dads side....

no one knows why mediterranian people cant have quinine,. but we cant.. its an anomoly.........

j

Grouper
    not everyone metabolizes everything the same way.. i know in me Tylenol slows flow and if i take aleve i bleed like a stuck pig.......
    but thast me,, thast why i prefaced the suggestion..... FOR ME it works..
    no one knows why but it does...
    then again no one knows why my X chromosome shortens one leg and changes..... and that is in every woman in my family on my dads side....

no one knows why mediterranian people cant have quinine,. but we cant.. its an anomoly.........

j
    Actually we do know why mediterranean people cannot have quinine it has to do with the enzyme in the red blood cells that metabolizes the quinine differently it is the G6PD enzyme. We have known that for ages.

There is more known than is commonly understood and while everyone is an individual and there are definitely different individual reactions there are basics that *tend* to work on large populations of people. For instance, Acetominophen is a centrally acting pain reliever -- meaning it stops the sensation of pain in the brain not in the peripheral tissue. As for the NSAIDS, they act on the tissue by reducing the prostaglandin PRODUCTION. Prostaglandins cause the pain. Since prostaglandins are the culprit in pain and in flow by inhibiting the production you change the characteristics of the flow. The problem with most people is the way they take it. They wait until they have a full on flow emergency and are in horrible pain. Well that is never going to work because it doesn't take care of the prostaglandins already produced it only stops the production of new ones. Under those circumstances you could get an increase in flow. It takes ingestion at least two days prior to the onset of PAIN (not the period) and continuation in an around the clock manner to get efficacy. I have worked with a TON of people with this problem in my career starting with myself and my family and with few exeptions this change in the med schedule takes away a lot of the issues with individual response. Not to say don't do whatever works for "you" but most women are going to respond to a different regimen.

TadPole
    Thanks for all the posts on this topic. My wife and I are encouraged by all of your input. Thank you all for sharing your insight.

Grouper
    Good luck!

If you guys don't want children right away, ask her GYN about Depo. I have the same condition and with Depo, I have NO problems!

TadPole
    Hi
    I've got the fibroids myself. No one should have to bleed that much when there is a simple procedure called ablation. Electricity is used to burn out the uterine lining and bleeding stops forever!!! You cannot feel it and the recovery is minimal.
    The fibroids in the wall and outside of it are still there and can still cause the same ol' cramping. Ibuprophen addresses the prostaglandins that start that process. Ask a nurse to explain it.
    Congratulations, I hope she goes for it. It's the coolest thing I've ever done.
    lisa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information