Thread: Hollis Advanced Travel System?

Grouper

Hollis Advanced Travel System?

I am thinking of purchasing the Hollis Advanced Travel System BCD. I was wondering if anyone has dove with this bcd and if so what are your opinions on it?

TadPole

Hollis ATS

I would like to hear comments too. I just had to cancel my Zeagle order because of a 3+month back order. Thankfully the Hollis only had a 1 week back order. I would love to hear how it compares to other BC's. Seeing that I am replacing a 17 year old BC, I hope I made a good purchase.

TadPole
    I'd be curious how it compared to the Dive Rite Travelpack. Hollis is a subdivision of Oceanic isn't it?

Shark
    Looks like nice gear... I have a plate/wing from Hollis and it is well constructed... I don't think you'll have any issues with it at all...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by reefvagabond View Post
    I'd be curious how it compared to the Dive Rite Travelpack. Hollis is a subdivision of Oceanic isn't it?
    Yes, Hollis is the "tec" line. Named after Bob Hollis, founder of Oceanic and all the sub companies like Aeris, Pelagic Systems, Hollis Industries, etc etc

Can't go too wrong with the ATS.... Well constructed, color schemes not outlandish...

TadPole
    I bought one from ST a few weeks ago. I love it. I am still working on get it all adjusted where I like it. Top notch quality. Fit is great. As typical with a Back inflate, it does put you a little face forward. I got some trim weight pockets to help out with that. Only dove it at CSSP, so no open water ocean experience with it.

Wife wants one now. :-D

TadPole
    I bought a Hollis ATS from ST for a dive trip to FL last month. So I thought I would post my impressions.

PRO: 1) Someone, somewhere (SB?) complained that this is too heavy to be called a travel BC. True, it is a little heavy (8 lbs. vs. 7 for my jacket BC), but it is SO compact when you compress it. I find that it packs better than any BC I've ever owed.
    2) Nice, oversized, good quality D rings (another reason for the weight). And they are all over the place.
    3) Standard tech inflator -- easy to service, easy to repair.
    4) Integrated wts are easily to load with lead and easy to install in the BC.
    5) Fantastic pricing -- thanks ScubaToys!
    6) Easier to get into and out of my dive kayak tank well compared to a jacket. More compact = less fumbling.

CONS: 1) No amount of weighting allowed me to offset the FFD (floating face down) problem. In fact, I went so far as to use a tank weight with no other weights. Still FFD. But I was only using a six lb weight. If you require more, maybe you could work it out. But when I borrowed an 8 lb weight, it was too wide (took up too much strap length) for it to work. So I don't know if it would be possible to overcome this.
    2) The waist straps are REALLY, REALLY long. So long, in fact, that I had to trim mine. How long is too long? Each of them is TWO FEET LONG where they exit the BC. Therein lies my real complaint: no amount of burning with a bic lighter got the mesh to stop unraveling after cutting. I can live with this, but I was really surprised. If you are morbidly obese, the length of these straps may be a godsend; but for the rest of us, they are in the way at the very least.
    3) Built-in backpad gets in the way of using the carrying handle to tote the BC when attached to a tank. When the BC is mounted on the tank, the handle is inaccessible from both the back and the front. In other words, you gotta carry the tank via the valve, not via the nifty built in BC handle. So this handle is useless once mounted on the tank -- the very thing I want a handle for.

Goofy stuff: 1) Hollis added what for lack of a better description, I'll call a cell phone pocket. It is about 3" tall, 2-1/2" wide, and 1" deep. It secures with a velcro closure at the top, has an oversized drainhole at the base, as well as not being completely closed (two dime-sized gaps) at the base. Tech divers may have some small piece of equipment that this is perfect for, but I don't. Worse yet, it has a velcro strip on the back to help keep it in place on the waist belt. And this gets in the way of tucking the extra-extra long waist straps under. I took it off as I have no need to carry credit cards underwater (not yet at least).
    2) String for upper right dump valve pull is completely exposed. This string is a good 9" long, and is exposed along its entire length rather than being "trapped" by a tube or fabric tether. This is a likely thing to get you in trouble with other kit during a dive. There is, in fact, a grommeted fabric tab at the top of the BC that just maybe, the string was designed to pass through.

All-in-all, I really like this BC. But unlike some folks, I don't think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm not speaking specifically about the ATS, but rather the BP-W design. So I can vouch for this being a good BC, but not for the often stated observation that I will never go back to a jacket. I'll dive both. For charter boat dives I like BC jackets (with pockets for all the kit that these require). Especially since if I'm lost at sea, I want to float as close to face up as possible and as easily as possible.

They need to remove the T from ATS on this unit. It was ATS-esk when it came out but anything that heavy isn't really a travel system in post airline baggage fee hell. The best pro of this system is now many places have it on clearance and a diver can get a quality BC for around $300.

As for the floating face down, back inflates that do this are often best used a floating face up rather than trying to be vertical.

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by cdharris View Post
    CONS: 1) No amount of weighting allowed me to offset the FFD (floating face down) problem. In fact, I went so far as to use a tank weight with no other weights. Still FFD. But I was only using a six lb weight. If you require more, maybe you could work it out. But when I borrowed an 8 lb weight, it was too wide (took up too much strap length) for it to work. So I don't know if it would be possible to overcome this.
    2) The waist straps are REALLY, REALLY long. So long, in fact, that I had to trim mine. How long is too long? Each of them is TWO FEET LONG where they exit the BC. Therein lies my real complaint: no amount of burning with a bic lighter got the mesh to stop unraveling after cutting. I can live with this, but I was really surprised. If you are morbidly obese, the length of these straps may be a godsend; but for the rest of us, they are in the way at the very least.]
    Don't completely inflate it...

and then, even if you do, all you have to do is lean back and lay on it... I don't have the ATS, but I can tell you my S25 wing is very similar, if not the same... if you leave it 2/3's inflated, it has plenty of lift and doesn't push you forwards... even if you do need to inflate it all the way, just simply lay back on it... sure, if you go completely limp, it might flip you, but if you are paying attention at all, its really a non-issue...

the waist straps are meant to be cut to fit, or at least cut to give you some room one way or the other... don't use a bic lighter on that stuff, you need a proper butane torch (this is what I have always used on this stuff and it is much much better across the board...
    -cody / on vacation from vacation...
    PADI MSDT Instructor, US Coast Guard Captain - Master Near Coastal

Thread Information