Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First trip to Cozumel

Guppy
    Images

First trip to Cozumel

My wife and I are taking our first trip to Cozumel and are trying to figure out the best place to stay. This is our first dive since our OW and we are going to be diving with Papa Hoggs. We want to stay in town so we could eat at some of the local r[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']estaurants[/FONT]. The problem I am having is I can't find a good acurate map of Cozumel. My wife is think she wants to stay at Hotel Cozumel but I can't firgure exactly where that is. If I look on Expedia it shows it south of the square and if I look other places it says it is North of town. I would think I wuldlike to sty closer to PH but maybe hat is not important. Does any one have a good acurate map of Cozumel or have any insight?

Barracuda
    I have used Papa Hogs 5 times, and have no complaints. Margaret is very flexible with their boats. Hog Town Cafe has some excellent food, breakfast is really good, and they serve it to you pretty quick.

We have stayed at several different hotels in Coz, I find the most convenient to Papa is Casa Del Mar, but it is not all-inclusive.

Barracuda
    Hotel Cozumel is also a good choice for location to Papa Hogs, but I can not speak of the hotel, never stayed there.

Guppy
    Images
    Thanks. We were not going to go the all inclusive route since we wanted to try out some of the local restaurants. I just didn't know if where Hotel Cozumel was located, is it within walking distance to town and to Papa Hoggs?

Barracuda
    I'll second Traci's recommendation for Papa Hogs, really good shop and food. I have been to CZM 5 times as as well and have always dove with PH, did my first ever post-cert dives with them. Margaret is a jewel! And Mike, well, he's Mike. He seems like an a-hole at first but he's really not once you get to know him. He just one of the those lovable old cranky dudes, like Archie Bunker... Buy him a beer and talk about something other than diving.. like Harley's!

If I recall correctly, and based on the map from their website, Hotel Cozumel is a little south of town. Remember that CZM is small and what may look like quite a ways on a map isn't really very far at all. You could probably walk from Hotel Cozumel to PH or town, but cabs are cheap enough.
    Some people are like a Slinky, not really good for anything but they do make you smile when you push them down stairs.

Guppy
    Images
    Maybe it is just easy to get a taxi but having never been there I don't know how big of a deal it is.

Barracuda
    Probably the only hotel that is in walking distance is Villablanca, right next door to Papa Hogs, but I have never stayed there. Hotel Cozumel is a good walk to Papa Hogs. I would catch a cab, or we always rent scooters. Mike, is just Mike. I think it took me 5 trips before is actually started cracking jokes, but he is alright.

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by TRACI View Post
    I have used Papa Hogs 5 times, and have no complaints.
    Last time I dove with them I was under weighted and they didn't bring any extra on the boat. Worst leg cramps ever. This was 1995

Barracuda
    Quote Originally Posted by roofless View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TRACI View Post
    I have used Papa Hogs 5 times, and have no complaints.
    Last time I dove with them I was under weighted and they didn't bring any extra on the boat. Worst leg cramps ever. This was 1995

We usually do a weight check before we get on the boat, but the DM's have always carried extra weights just in case.

Guppy
    Images
    We will be arriving at noon on a Sunday so we were going to try and do a shore dive just to get aclimated and make sure our weights were good.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information