Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 63s vs. 80s

Grouper

63s vs. 80s

I was told that women use less air than men and to use a 63 cu ft tank instead of the traditional 80s. Does anyone else follow this rule? I use them because it weighs less and I haven't really seen any difference in air consumption or the time that it takes to consume the air.

Grouper Founding Member
    my wife used 63's for the first time down in Bonaire a couple of weeks ago - she liked them for less weight, but if she had been diving with others who were better at their air consumption, her bottom times would have been more limited - as it was she was diving with me (using an 80) and after an hour we were both pretty much around the 500-600 psi range left in our tanks - sometimes a bit less if we were staying deeper little longer before making our turn

If I buy her a tank (been looking) - I will definitely consider a 63 so it will be lighter to pack around

Grouper
    I dont know if as a general rule women use less air. My wife uses more air than I do. I could be that I am in better shape than she is.

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    yes, women usually use less air than men - it has to do with muscle mass and lung capacity. They usually have bigger muscles which require more oxygen and have bigger lungs to deliver it.

as far as whether you should use a 63 or 80 tank.... I would stick with the 80 unless you are a very small person (under 100 lbs). Most dive ops only have 80s on their boats and it would be silly for you to sometimes use one size then other times use another... just get used to the 80s, and then you know what weight to use with it rather than switching back and forth. I am a small person, as is my daughter, but we both still use 80s.

Just my 2 cents.
    robin

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by crgjpg View Post
    I dont know if as a general rule women use less air. My wife uses more air than I do. I could be that I am in better shape than she is.
    Don't let her hear that...

So far in my very limited dive experience I have been using 63s and 80s. I am fine with both of them, but the 63s are easier to carry.
    Last edited by dogseatmayo; 07-30-2008 at 15:41. Reason: kaint spiel
    roflmao- It speaks for itself

Grouper
    I think that's really going to depend on the woman using the tank. I wouldn't go by a stereotype because each of us dives and breathes differently.
    Don't worry, be happy.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    As a general rule, I see women having better air consumption rates than men, but that rule is rife with exceptions.

I see a lot of smaller women carrying 63's, because they're just not physically able to carry a bigger tank.

I prefer to see divers diving matched tanks, though. It always scares me to see a petite woman diving with a 63, when her large male DB is diving a 120 so he can "keep up" with her consumption. That actually works quite well, as long as nothing goes wrong. But if HE has a problem they need to share air off her tiny tank in a stressful OOA situation, things are going to get bad FAST.

I'd say between the two, stick with 80s, since that's all you're going to have access to much of the time when traveling anyway. May as well be used to it.

Grouper
    When I get my wife tanks, she'll be using AL80's. That way, when I want to use them and she's not diving, I've got hers in the garage to take with me. She's already requested pink and purple...guess I'll have to live with the ribbing when the time comes

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalman View Post
    When I get my wife tanks, she'll be using AL80's. That way, when I want to use them and she's not diving, I've got hers in the garage to take with me. She's already requested pink and purple...guess I'll have to live with the ribbing when the time comes
    Well, my wife does not dive but if she ever does I'll follow suit and copy my tank sizes. It just makes more sense.

Guppy
    My wife uses less air than I do, but it is usually only a couple hundred psi over a normal dive.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information