Thread: Drysuit leak

TadPole

Question Drysuit leak

I just bought a bare tri-laminatelight atr. Couldnt pass it up it was 300 bucks with the 200 ct. long underware and the rock boots. I found it has a leak neat the rt knee. Cant tell if its on a seam, but it is not a rip. Bare wants 40 bucks to test it and shipping, If it is a seam its all free including shipping. Any sugestions on how I can bettercheck for the leak and how best to fix it? I did turn the suit inside out and filled the leg with water but i was too slow to find the starting point and wick affect was fast.
    Thanks

Shark Founding Member
    can you close the wrist seals and neck seals and fill the suit with air and put it in a tub of water to better find the leak. Can make something like these or you could put water bottles in the wrists and a 2 liter bottle in the neck seal with a rubber band or two to keep them on. They will not be under much pressure because you will be mainly worried about the leg.

Phil

Grouper
    I used a different method successfully with the Bare Nex-Gen Pro. I'm not sure whether this only works for bilams.

Turn the leg inside out. Stick a light inside the leg where you think the leak is and turn it on. Move the suit to a dark room (or just turn the overhead lights out). The hole should be visible as a pinpoint of light. Move the light around in the general area until you can see the hole. I painted the hole (on the inside of the suit) with several coats of Aquaseal. No more leaks.

I hope you can use this method with your trilam. Let us know how it goes.

Edited later: Actually you don't even need to turn the leg inside out.
    Last edited by bubbletrubble; 07-30-2008 at 18:25. Reason: clarification

Another option:
    Block the neck and wrists with bottles as Phil said,close down the exhaust valve, inflate the suit and spray the suspect area with soapy water. This is easier than trying to sink the suit. If a 2lt bottle doesn't seal the neck, a ball works well.
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by SkuaSeptember View Post
    Another option:
    Block the neck and wrists with bottles as Phil said,close down the exhaust valve, inflate the suit and spray the suspect area with soapy water. This is easier than trying to sink the suit. If a 2lt bottle doesn't seal the neck, a ball works well.

I use the same method but I stand there and have the wife spray me with soapy water. Find the bubbles and then mark it with chalk. Once it's dry, I do the repair.

I've tried holding it under the sink or bathtub and using things to seal the neck/wrists but like the SkuaSeptember said, the above method is easier.

crosseyed95

TadPole
    Thanks guys I tried everything and nothing has been giving me any definate answers. Do you think that its possible that the suit has worn thin in that general area? The spot is just under the knee/shin pad so i cant see any light through it and since its covered I cant see any blems from the outside.
    Has anyone used aqua seal? Any thoughts about using that to cover that area? My guess is that the possible spot is about 6"x6" or what about a iron-on patch?
    Last edited by Brewer; 08-01-2008 at 00:06. Reason: shitty typer lol

Thread Information