Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PayPal

TadPole
    Brandon, you do offer a great solution for those who do not accept PayPal.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Belew View Post
    Back on topic -

Use PayPal where PayPal is not accepted:
    https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...c-plugin-intro
    • Use Secure Cards to shop anywhere online
    • Save and print your receipts
    • Enter addresses with 1 click during checkout
    • Avoid fraudulent websites
    • Check your balance right from your browser
    Problem solved no?

OP can install the plugin, generate a one-use or multi-use card for Scuba Toys, funds are pulled from his PP account.
    Interesting. Good find

However, knowing Ebay & Paypal, there IS a catch. There's no money to be made on the consumer end. So, I wonder what the business is charged to accept the "Paypal Plugin"?

TadPole
    For just a PayPal plugin with no associated listing/selling on your own site, zero money. This is one of the strengths of it. Although, if you do sell an item, it will cost.

TadPole
    There's no money to be made on the consumer end.
    There is no money to be made on the consumer end. Just like there is no money to be made on that side with any other payment method. The consumer ends up paying all costs, otherwise why sell/finance?
    Last edited by scottv; 08-03-2008 at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by scottv View Post
    For a majority of the online retailers, they never see your Ccard info either. The shopping cart programs simply collect funds. Some will store your info, but the retailer, or no other human being, will ever actually have access to it. It is a "pull" scenario as you describe, not a "push".
    You miss my point. Whether the etailer chooses not to view or store the cc info, the point is they have access to it. I know for a fact that Amazon logs the transactions and if there is a processing glitch they have teams that pull up the logs and process it manually. I'm not worried about major etailers like Amazon abusing the info. But there are times when I may wish to purchase a widget from some small time seller who for all I know is working out of a flat in Singapore. I don't want to malign anyone but sites that sell infomercial crap, downloadable music, etc. where I do not fully trust the seller or the product but am willing to gamble with the purchase price. Let's say it's $20, I can use Paypal and send $20, if I get screwed I lose $20. Paypal isn't giving them a nickel more than I authorize to give them. On the other hand, I could give them my cc info then find out next week that not only am I not getting the widget but they charged thousands of dollars to my cc. Of course, by then the site has shut down and they have flown the coop. Sure I can dispute the charges but who needs that hassle?
    The water's more exciting.. with CHUM in it!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by ReefHound View Post
    For a majority of the online retailers, they never see your Ccard info either. The shopping cart programs simply collect funds. Some will store your info, but the retailer, or no other human being, will ever actually have access to it. It is a "pull" scenario as you describe, not a "push".
    You miss my point. Whether the etailer chooses not to view or store the cc info, the point is they have access to it. I know for a fact that Amazon logs the transactions and if there is a processing glitch they have teams that pull up the logs and process it manually. I'm not worried about major etailers like Amazon abusing the info. But there are times when I may wish to purchase a widget from some small time seller who for all I know is working out of a flat in Singapore. I don't want to malign anyone but sites that sell infomercial crap, downloadable music, etc. where I do not fully trust the seller or the product but am willing to gamble with the purchase price. Let's say it's $20, I can use Paypal and send $20, if I get screwed I lose $20. Paypal isn't giving them a nickel more than I authorize to give them. On the other hand, I could give them my cc info then find out next week that not only am I not getting the widget but they charged thousands of dollars to my cc. Of course, by then the site has shut down and they have flown the coop. Sure I can dispute the charges but who needs that hassle?
    Small time Etailers, unless they invest tens (if not hundreds) of thousands will NOT have access to your CC info. Hence they capture but never actually see your CC info. If a site is willing and able to write their own code, maybe. The point of this thread is ScubaToys.com, do they have that kind of reputation? The reason PayPal is not accepted (again I am not Larry) is because of an exorbitant cost and honestly the hassle (seems like little, but it is much in the big picture of things). It is just not worth it! This is why online is much safer than doing an order over the phone. With phones (land or cell) anyone can listen in and get your info. Look for the SSL cert, regardless of the website you order from. It speaks volumes! Disputing charges is a pain no matter what payment method. With PayPal it is more of a pain. From your post you would not buy more than $20 with PayPal? There in lies an inherent flaw. Authorize what you wish, but you still lost it.

There is no money to be made on the consumer end. Just like there is no money to be made on that side with any other payment method. The consumer ends up paying all costs, otherwise why sell/finance?
    Of course the consumer "pays" the fees. That doesn't negate the fact that Paypal is a rip off, and some how some way this Paypal plugin is going to be as well. What does the business get charged for using this "plugin"? Is it any better than the regular Paypal fees themslelves?

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFood View Post
    Of course the consumer "pays" the fees. That doesn't negate the fact that Paypal is a rip off, and some how some way this Paypal plugin is going to be as well. What does the business get charged for using this "plugin"? Is it any better than the regular Paypal fees themslelves?

It is basically the same fees. It is a "ripoff" in my opinion. They basically charge a fairly high volume retailer the same as a one time seller on Ebay.

Small time Etailers, unless they invest tens (if not hundreds) of thousands will NOT have access to your CC info. Hence they capture but never actually see your CC info. If a site is willing and able to write their own code, maybe. The point of this thread is ScubaToys.com, do they have that kind of reputation? The reason PayPal is not accepted (again I am not Larry) is because of an exorbitant cost and honestly the hassle (seems like little, but it is much in the big picture of things). It is just not worth it! This is why online is much safer than doing an order over the phone. With phones (land or cell) anyone can listen in and get your info. Look for the SSL cert, regardless of the website you order from. It speaks volumes! Disputing charges is a pain no matter what payment method. With PayPal it is more of a pain. From your post you would not buy more than $20 with PayPal? There in lies an inherent flaw. Authorize what you wish, but you still lost it.
    That's asinine. I could right now, at no cost but 30 minutes of my time, write a web form that you fill out your cc info and a PHP script that processes and logs it to a text file. If you transmit your cc info over the web, SSL or not, the host site has access to it.

Again, I fail to see where 1% can be considered an "exorbitant" cost at a place where 10% discounts are given out like candy.

No, I'm not saying I would only use PP on transactions of $20 but that I and I alone determine the amount I'm willing to risk, depending on situation. Giving your cc info and having the merchant "pull" it is like handing him a blank signed check and having him fill in the agreed amount. The actual financial transaction takes place between the merchant and the cc company. You cannot monitor or control this transaction, only accept or dispute it after the fact. VISA does not know what you agreed to pay and does not call you to ask (unless the activity is "suspicious").
    The water's more exciting.. with CHUM in it!

TadPole
    That's asinine. I could right now, at no cost but 30 minutes of my time, write a web form that you fill out your cc info and a PHP script that processes and logs it to a text file. If you transmit your cc info over the web, SSL or not, the host site has access to it.

Again, I fail to see where 1% can be considered an "exorbitant" cost at a place where 10% discounts are given out like candy.

No, I'm not saying I would only use PP on transactions of $20 but that I and I alone determine the amount I'm willing to risk, depending on situation. Giving your cc info and having the merchant "pull" it is like handing him a blank signed check and having him fill in the agreed amount. The actual financial transaction takes place between the merchant and the cc company. You cannot monitor or control this transaction, only accept or dispute it after the fact. VISA does not know what you agreed to pay and does not call you to ask (unless the activity is "suspicious").
    You could set up a site that will get the actual CC info, but how much would it cost you, assuming it "looks" secure to most? As for the 10% discount, how many people that order from ST do you think are actually that major part of the forum? They do not advertise the 10%, I only see it on the forum itself (if it is elsewhere, please provide a link, actual participation/discretion are used, I assure you). If you are not saying $20 is not not what you are willing to risk via PP, than why not list an example for $10000? The transaction does occur through the CC company, bank and merchant. This generally means the agreed amount. The "pulling" applies to that amount. If the activity is suspicious, or just claimed not authorized, PP or a CC will hold payment. The difference is that a CC will refund the whole amount.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information